Events & Volunteer Manager
- Experience Level
This position works closely with members of the development and marketing teams to define the goals and purposes of events, and then to plan and host those events. Examples of events include; the annual gala, cultivation and stewardship dinners & receptions, patron tours, as well as other events held in conjunction with performances. The events & projects manager is responsible for managing relationships with vendors and monitoring the budget, revenues, and expenses for each event.
The competitive candidate will demonstrate experience in nonprofit special events, a familiarity with comprehensive development strategy and operations, and a desire to be a part of a dynamic and growing opera company and Atlanta’s broader arts community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all aspects of the Opera’s events
- Recruit, screen, train, and manage The Atlanta Opera’s volunteer program
- Serve as a point of contact for board members in coordinating events and board activities. Provide administrative support in preparing for board committee meetings associated with development.
- Create budgets, financial reports and follow up reports for fundraising, donor recognition and cultivation events
- Monitor income and expenses for all events
- Develop, cultivate, manage and provide leadership as needed to a corps of volunteers and/or chairpersons
- Manage staff at events as needed
- Fulfill all donor benefits relating to special events (i.e. comp tickets, name recognition, etc.)
- Manage the solicitation of in-kind contributions for special events
- With Chief Development Officer, coordinate all corporate and individual fundraising solicitations relating to special events
- Manage solicitations conducted by the event’s volunteer and staff leadership
- Work with the development team to engage event donors as annual donors
- With Marketing and Audience Development staff, assist in developing and implementing initiatives for groups and individuals
- With Development and Marketing staff, coordinate event copy for newsletters, email blasts, ARIA program books, and other marketing materials
- With Marketing staff, create and implement press activities for major fundraising, donor recognition, cultivation, and outreach events
- With Marketing and Development staff, create invitations and other printed materials for events
- Coordinate staff needs for productions with department leaders
- Plan and execute a cast party for each production
- Perform other administrative duties as required (special projects)
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
Late and irregular working hours, evening and weekend work is required
- The successful candidate should thrive in a fast-paced team environment and enjoy nurturing relationships with volunteers, artists, donors and vendors.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have excellent written and personal skills, proven team-building skills, strong computer skills, be multi-task and detail-oriented.
- The individual must have exceptional communication skills and be able to work at both the conceptual level and the implementation level.
- The individual must be able to start, stop and resume work on projects, as priority changes.
- This position requires an individual who can set goals and objectives and achieve them. The individual must be able to work with a diverse range of individuals, while understanding the purpose and mission of each project and thinking creatively to ensure the success of each project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field and/or related experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing special events.
- Experience managing event for arts organizations is preferred.
- Experience with Tessitura or other donor management software is preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver license, and a clean driving record.
- Able and willing to drive a rental truck or cargo van to venues.