- Position Type
- Full Time
REPORTS TO: Controller
ABOUT THE STUART FOUNDATION
The Stuart Foundation is a private family foundation based in San Francisco and is dedicated to improving life outcomes for young people through education. We work to ensure that education systems in California and Washington provide opportunities for students to learn, achieve and thrive.
Our guiding principle, or North Star, is an education system that values the whole child by strengthening the relationships between students, educators, families and communities. We seek to create systems that strengthen the full spectrum of a child’s experiences from the classroom to the playground to the kitchen table.
As a result, children will have greater opportunities to be self-reliant, succeed in education and careers, and engage meaningfully in their communities.
The Foundation has an asset base of $530 million, a staff of 20, and makes charitable expenditures of approximately $21 million per year for the benefit of children and youth in the states of California and Washington.
The Senior Accountant works with the Controller in carrying out the responsibilities of the Foundation’s finance team. The person in this position is primarily responsible for all record keeping and accounting procedures related to a diverse investment portfolio, as well as the day-to-day accounting activities that support the work of the Foundation.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Controller. The person in this position interacts in a collaborative environment with members of the Foundation staff on a daily basis.
- Prepares monthly spreadsheets for each investment fund; reconcile manager statements and posts investment activity.
- On a quarterly basis, makes adjustments to the monthly illiquid investment accounts.
- Reconciles Northern Trust statements for short-term investments on a monthly basis.
- Monitors cash flow on a daily basis.
- Prepares funding of capital calls.
- Sets up new investment funds.
- Processes redemptions and liquidations.
- Reconciles all bank accounts.
- Monitors checking account activity on a daily basis.
EXCISE TAX ACCOUNTING
- Coordinates and tracks all excise tax related activities.
- Participates in the preparation of the tax returns.
ADMINISTRATION AND OPERATIONS ACCOUNTING
- Prepares monthly Budget vs. Actual variance reports and assists senior management with other budgeting activities.
- Maintains and monitors fixed assets and depreciation schedules, monitors expenditures for capital purchases.
- Assists the finance team with administration and operations accounting support as needed.
- Completes and submits annual business-related filings.
- Assists Controller with maintaining and reviewing the Foundation’s insurance policies.
- Performs year-end closing procedures.
- Assists with the year-end external audit, including preparing schedules and interacting with the auditors.
- Assists with preparation of annual tax returns.
- Participates in setting priorities and goals for the finance team.
- Coordinates with Grants Manager to reconcile grants database to general ledger.
- Along with the Controller, attends meetings with the Program Department as needed.
- Ability to plan and prioritize workflow and meet deadlines.
- Sense of humor.
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through.
- Flexibility, a “can do” problem-solving orientation; willingness to assist others as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook as well as QuickBooks
- Experience with databases and/or Salesforce, and interest in technology is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years experience or equivalent required.
The Stuart Foundation provides a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an excellent benefits package.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and a resume to Brad Sink, Chief Financial Officer, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Senior Accountant” in the subject line.
NO CALLS PLEASE
The position is now open.
Review of applications will begin with resumes received by Tuesday, January 22, and will continue until the position is filled.
The Stuart Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Foundation policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.