Clean Energy Advocate for Environment California
- Experience Level
Environment California Clean Energy Advocate
Environment California is hiring an experienced advocate to protect public health and the environment by shifting California’s electricity, cars, and buildings to be powered by 100% clean, renewable energy. Especially when the federal government is rolling back clean air laws, the need for leadership from California is more critical than ever. The top area of focus will be the transportation system, our state’s largest source of air pollution and global warming pollution. We need to accelerate the transition to 100% clean electric vehicles, including clean trucks, buses and cars.
Mission and Background
Environment California is a policy and action group with tens of thousands of supporters across the state. Our mission is to protect clean air, clean water and open space. Over the last 15 years we have won campaigns to dramatically expand the use of solar and other clean energy, and get cleaner cars and buses on the road. We’ve reduced plastic pollution flowing into the Pacific Ocean, we’ve stopped oil drilling and blocked efforts to expand fracking, and protected our parks and beaches and forests throughout the state.
The Clean Energy Advocate is responsible for developing our strategy, approach and local message to win campaigns. The advocate will meet with local decision-makers and opinion leaders and represent our organization to allies and the media. Advocates also help to build and foster our membership, grassroots and online base of support. Finally, the advocate will help recruit staff and volunteers to join us, fundraise for our programs, and maintain good systems for tracking and building on our work.
- Program: Run the California clean energy program, participating in and overseeing policy development, research and messaging.
- Advocacy: Bring problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers—including state legislators, people on the governor’s staff, state regulators and local officials. Develop appropriate messages and materials for making the case to decision-makers. Build relationships with key players in the state, the region and at the federal level.
- Campaign strategy: Develop plans to win on our campaigns for trucks, buses and cars that run on 100% clean energy. Assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, endorsements and message development.
- Media outreach: Serve as the public spokesperson for our environmental campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues, and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Coalition building: Identify, reach out and work with partners who can help us win our campaigns.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff and meet with donors, all to bring more resources to campaigns we're waging to protect our environment.
- Staff recruitment and development: Recruit new staff and volunteers to increase our impact and build our power.
Candidates must have at least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental and public interest issues and to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We're looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. The ideal candidate will have experience in state-level political advocacy and organizing, a proven ability to recruit, train and develop staff, the ability to raise money, and demonstrated success in building relationships with the full spectrum of environmental and political stakeholders.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Environment California offers a competitive benefits package.
Oakland, Sacramento or Los Angeles, CA
Please apply online at https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/apply.html?utm_source=work-for-good&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=AMEspring2019&utm_term=283&utm_content=LAT_P_1-11
Environment California is part of the Public Interest Network. Visit https://jobs.environmentamerica.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment California is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
Environment California will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Environment Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Development / Fundraising Environment Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Human Resources / Recruiting Environment Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Program / Project Management Environment Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Public Policy / Administration Environment Full Time jobs in Sacramento