Make it Toxic Free Advocate
- Experience Level
U.S. PIRG seeks a Make It Toxic-Free Advocate to protect people from harmful chemicals in everyday products.. We should be able to trust that the products we put on our bodies everyday are safe. But our research shows that some companies are reluctant to stop using chemicals associated with an increased risk of cancer, like asbestos in kids’ makeup and carcinogens in shampoo.
Our world could be different. Safer alternatives are out there. The Make it Toxic-Free Advocate will run our campaign to put pressure on companies to make their products toxic-free and convince decision-makers to keep these dangers out of common products.
For more than 40 years, U.S. PIRG has been a national leader in alerting Americans to the threats in the marketplace to their health, safety, and environment. More than 150 unsafe toys have been recalled because of our annual report and advocacy. We’ve supported successful legislation to regulate personal care products in a dozen states. And, we convinced the largest manufacturers of consumer products to start disclosing dangerous chemicals of concern in products.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Media Outreach: Serve as the spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases and opinion writing. Keep abreast of consumer issues, raise the profile of consumer issues in the media.
- Coalition Building: Build relationships, coordinate and mobilize support with key constituencies, including legal allies, consumers, business owners and others.
- Research and Monitoring: Find and research harmful chemicals of concern. Write reports and consumer guides to let our members know about threats to public health and safety.
- Advocacy: Advocate for policies that will protect and empower consumers. Build relationships with players in key regulatory agencies, statehouses, in Congress, and other forums where relevant decisions are being made.
- Campaign Strategy: Develop plans to win our campaigns using research, advocacy, coalition-building, media attention, and grassroots mobilization; assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundations, and meet with major donors, to bring more resources to our campaigns. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and deepen our membership base.
- Staff Recruitment and Development: Recruit new staff and volunteers. Oversee other staff working on our Consumer Program team, coordinate with our state staff and provide training and leadership development.
Candidates must have at least 3 years of relevant professional experience. Advanced degrees like a JD, or a master’s degree may count toward experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to public interest or consumer issues and to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We're looking for people who are goal-driven and results-oriented, who have excellent verbal, written and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and driven to make positive policy change.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
Chicago, Washington, D.C., or Philadelphia with frequent travel
Please apply online at https://jobs.uspirg.org/apply.html?utm_source=work-for-good&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=USPspring2019&utm_term=274&utm_content=LAT_P_1-11
Things to Know When You Apply
Visit http://www.uspirg.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Disaster Services / Public Safety up to $29,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Development / Fundraising Disaster Services / Public Safety up to $29,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Human Resources / Recruiting Disaster Services / Public Safety up to $29,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Marketing / Communications Disaster Services / Public Safety up to $29,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Research Disaster Services / Public Safety up to $29,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago