Writer, Development and Communications
- Degree Level
Writer – Development and Communications
The Writer works closely with the Vice President of Programming & External Relations, Senior Writer, and President to provide written content and ongoing support for the execution of CEP’s fundraising, marketing, communications and programming efforts. It is an excellent opportunity to contribute significantly to the organization’s work while also learning about philanthropy, growing professionally, and honing valuable skills.
The role of the Writer is threefold: First, working as a member of the Programming & External Relations team to craft effective communications targeting CEP’s primary audience of foundation leaders, including blog posts, press releases, marketing materials of many kinds, and social media contributions; second, working with the President’s office and across teams to create letters, grant proposals, and reports for CEP’s fund development efforts; and third, pitching in with many tasks associated with development and communications, such as data entry, online research, tracking philanthropic requests, pledges, and contributions, assisting with large- and small-scale mailings, and using hosted software to assist in our marketing efforts. A successful candidate will have a demonstrated talent for writing and editing, as this person will play a key role in crafting and honing CEP’s external messages. This person will also be a collaborative team player who has a personal interest in the nonprofit sector. This position is based in CEP’s Cambridge, Massachusetts, office.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You are an active listener and are able to synthesize large amounts of information into writing in a clear and compelling way.
- You are self-motivating, hard-working, eager to learn, empathetic, and reliable.
- You are able to juggle multiple priorities and deadlines, and are highly organized in planning and managing your time to meet continuous deadlines.
- You understand that CEP’s work depends on the high quality of our materials, and likewise, you have the highest standards for detail-orientation, quality control, and excellence.
- You have strong interpersonal skills, with an aptitude for working well with people and in teams. You are also excellent at managing up.
- Others regard you as a fount of knowledge and someone who is widely read (and yet humble about it). You are full of ideas for blog post topics, communication techniques, and other ways CEP can better reach our audiences.
- You are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
- Your highly positive attitude, shared commitment to excellence, and thoughtfulness are an asset to CEP.
As a member of the Programming & External Relations team, you can expect to contribute to CEP’s success through:
- Preparing written materials including press releases, event invitations, marketing materials, CEP’s annual report, and newsletters
- Proofreading/editing blog posts submitted by CEP staff and guest contributors to CEP’s widely read blog and other materials produced by CEP staff
- Creating original blog content
- Maintaining CEP’s social media presence (Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Contributing to team projects including but not limited to data entry, online research, conference and other event planning, tracking our web analytics, and sending welcome packets to new foundation leaders
- Assisting with CEP’s mailing lists and contact database, which includes performing detailed quality control on a regular basis
- Actively contributing to team discussions, collaborating on cross-team projects, and helping develop CEP’s internal knowledge base and operations
As a contributing member to CEP’s fund development efforts, you can look forward to working directly with the President, Vice President of Programming & External Relations, and Senior Writer to create accurate, well-written, and on-time grant proposals and reports for around 50 foundations which comprise CEP’s funding base. This will involve the following:
- Effective information gathering across teams
- Timely creation and submission of accurate and compelling ask letters, grant proposals, and reports
- Ongoing written documentation and tracking of CEP’s fundraising efforts
- College degree (B.S., B.A.) and 0-5 years of work experience required. B.A. in English, journalism, marketing, public relations or related field is a plus.
- A demonstration of exceptionally strong communication skills, including verbal, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to execute multiple projects effectively and meet deadlines, while also paying close attention to details, grammar, formatting, and accuracy
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office suite, and social media tools; experience with WordPress and Salesforce a plus
We believe diversity and inclusion are key drivers of creativity and innovation, and we actively seek out candidates with diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and perspectives for this exciting role.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
- The salary range for this role is $60,000 to $65,000.
- Performance based incentive compensation plan
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
For more than a decade, CEP has led the movement to improve philanthropy through a powerful combination of dispassionate analysis and a passionate commitment to improving lives. Today, over 300 foundations have used CEP’s assessment tools to gather honest feedback from their stakeholders in an effort to learn how to be even more effective. CEOs and trustees have come to rely on our research for insights into foundation effectiveness on a wide range of topics, from assessing performance to developing strategy to managing stakeholder relationships. Our highly regarded programming—including our biennial conference—gives foundation leaders an exclusive and unprecedented opportunity to connect with their peers. CEP is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect.
Please fill out our application for employment and attach a resume, writing sample, and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. If you have any questions, please contact Leaha Wynn, Associate Manager, Human Capital and D&I Strategist or Alyse d’Amico, Director of Human Capital and Special Assistant to the President at jobs [at] cep [dot] org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CEP is an equal opportunity employer.