Senior Director of Individual Giving
- Experience Level
4-H, the nation’s largest youth development organization, grows confident young people who are empowered for life today and prepared for career tomorrow. 4-H programs empower nearly six million young people across the U.S. through experiences that develop critical life skills. In the U.S., 4-H serves every county and parish through our network of 110 universities and more than 3000 local offices. 4-H is led by a unique private-public partnership of universities, federal and local government agencies, foundations and professional associations. National 4-H Council is the private sector, non-profit partner of the Cooperative Extension System and 4-H National Headquarters located at the National Institute of Food and Agriculture within the United States Department of Agriculture.
4-H seeks a highly motivated and purpose-driven leader as Senior Director of Individual Giving. The Director will build a team to ignite and grow planned giving, major giving, annual appeals and special events in support of 4-H’s mission. Working directly with the Chief Development Officer, the Director will develop strategy, execute growth plans, lead a team and inspire donors to invest in growing 4‑H from six to ten million youth by 2025. As a senior leader on the Resource Development (RD) Team, the Senior Director will partner with Trustees, the Executive Team, influential alumni, major donors and peer RD leaders to grow the individual giving portfolio. The Senior Director will leverage experience to assess and maximize prospect research, solicitation, acknowledgment, gift administration, recognition, stewardship, and renewal strategies.
Team Leadership Duties
- Direct the planning, development, implementation, budgeting, maintenance and support of all unit functions.
- Administer and manage policies, standards, practices, and security measures for all unit functions to assure effective and consistent department operations.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, mentor, evaluate and develop assigned Associates according to National 4-H Council’s policies and procedures, ensuring overall smooth functioning of the department, consulting appropriate Human Resources staff as indicated.
- Provide guidance and direction for development of all assigned Associates to improve overall professionalism of the department and support provided to National 4-H Council.
- Plan and direct continual upgrading of equipment and procedures to maintain pace with technological progress, economic change, and business needs.
- Perform standard supervisory administrative duties including scheduling and maintain a weekly meeting, reviewing and approving time sheets, monitoring petty cash, and ensure expense reports are processed in a timely manner.
- Ensure alignment of team to 4-H mission and organizational goals.
Development of Individual Giving Strategy Duties
- In alignment with National 4-H Council’s Strategic Plan, develop the Individual Giving program strategy including but not limited to campaigns, planned giving, major giving, annual appeals and special events. In partnership with Marketing peers, develop strategy to maximize database constituents through donor conversion tactics.
- Participate in the development of Resource Development’s direction, plans, and programs as a strategic partner to the Chief Diversity Officer and External Affairs Committee of the Board.
Individual Giving Program Duties
- Manage a budget of up to $750,000. Manage organization’s most important individual donor relationships, working closely with the CEO, CDO and the Board, ensuring timely moves management, effective donor relationship building and strategic solicitations.
- Directly grow, steward and solicit a portfolio of individual donors and prospects.
- Participate in annual strategy and budget discussions as they relate to individual fundraising, and contribute to setting annual individual fundraising goals.
- Design effective fundraising strategy, and execute on tactics to increase giving by individual donors, with particular focus on major donors.
- Lead individual prospecting efforts to attract new donors to National 4-H Council, particularly those capable of making five- to seven-figure gifts.
- Lead and execute National 4-H Council’s primary fundraising event – Legacy Awards – in partnership with the Board of Trustees, event contactors and an integrated Council events team.
- Design innovative and fresh approaches to increasing investments in strategic priorities. In concert with the Digital Marketing Team, develop annual appeals that maximize donor conversion from constituency databases.
- Manage existing planned giving program, assess current efforts and available organizational capacity; recommend future strategies and tactics to increase planned gifts.
- In consultation with CEO and CDO, work with board members to implement giving strategies that ensure both increased board giving and fundraising activity.
- Collaborate with Senior Director, Account Management and Operations to develop operations and individual giving processes.
- Must display a growth mindset, team-first outlook and be motivated by a passion for impacting youth.
- Proven success in creating and implementing strategic face-to-face individual fundraising of five-figure gifts and above.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, with 10 - 15 years of senior professional fundraising experience and 5+ years of personnel management experience.
- Experience working with Board of Trustee fundraising committees including campaign development, special events, direct solicitation and stewardship.
- Proven success in managing annual giving, special events, planned to give, direct mail programs, database management and screening, and gifts processing.
- Experience with strategic use of fundraising database software, preferably Raiser’s Edge or Microsoft Dynamics.
- Knowledge or experience with 4-H or Cooperative Extension is a plus.
Travel Requirements: Travel may be necessary, up to 50% of the time (local, regional, national). Would require travel by air, car, rail.
Career Ladder: This position typically has the following career ladder
- Vice President, Development
- Chief Development Officer
More searches like this
- Development / Fundraising Youth Development $100,000 & up Telecommute jobs in Chevy Chase
- Event Planning Youth Development $100,000 & up Telecommute jobs in Chevy Chase
- Executive / Senior Management Youth Development $100,000 & up Telecommute jobs in Chevy Chase
- Program / Project Management Youth Development $100,000 & up Telecommute jobs in Chevy Chase