Paid Summer Internship Program Evaluator/Data Analyst
Public Profit helps mission-driven organizations measure and manage what matters. Our clients include cities, schools, museums, philanthropies, nonprofits, and policy advocates. We provide program evaluation, evaluation capacity building and data visualization services.
Public Profit seeks two exceptional candidates for our summer 2019 internship. Interns are a fully integrated part of our project teams, providing substantive support on key organizational deliverables. The intern will spend roughly half of her/his time on data cleaning and analysis tasks and half on writing findings reports. Each intern will contribute to a portfolio of 4-5 program evaluations during their time at Public Profit.
Specific tasks and opportunities for interns include:
- Data cleaning and management – Identifying and correcting problems with multiple quantitative data sets, creating new variables, merging files using unique identifiers, creating qualitative datasets.
- Data analysis – Preparing descriptive and inferential analysis using multiple data sources, including enrollment and participation, site visit, survey, and academic data; qualitative coding as available.
- Writing – Contributing to final findings reports that are shared with program sites, funders and the public.
- Learning – Full immersion in high performing evaluation teams, extensive training at the start of the internship period, participation in topical reading groups, observation of presentations to clients (as available).
Our ideal candidate:
- Is familiar with education, child and family policies and programs; experience with after-school programs and policies a plus.
- Has completed coursework in statistics and program evaluation, or has 1-2 years of equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Can demonstrate hands-on experience managing data and conducting descriptive and basic inferential statistics. Strong familiarity with Excel is required, experience with statistics packages such as SPSS, STATA, or R is a plus.
- Is a strong writer, ideally with experience summarizing data for non-technical audiences.
- Can demonstrate strong project management and communication skills.
- Is energized by managing multiple tasks simultaneously and is deadline-driven.
What the Program Evaluator/Data Analyst intern will gain:
- Opportunity to build skills in applied program evaluation by working with high performing project teams.
- Extensive work with large data sets, including data cleaning, matching, and analysis. (Depending on the project, sets will include 10-20,000 cases.)
- Opportunity to co-author findings reports, with an emphasis on preparing accurate and compelling summaries for a non-technical audience.
- Chance to be part of a hard-working, fun-filled, and collaborative evaluation firm.
About the position:
- The internship will last from Monday, June 3 through Friday, August 9, 2019 (with the option to take 1 week off and extend the internship to August 16).
- Full-time hours (40 hours/week).
- An honorarium of $7,500 is provided with the internship.
- Intern will work at Public Profit's offices in downtown Oakland, California.
- Interns are responsible for securing housing for the internship period.