Pro Bono Coordinator
- Experience Level
We Are …
The American Immigration Council (“Council”), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is a powerful voice in promoting laws, policies, and attitudes that honor our proud history as a nation of immigrants. Through research and policy analysis, litigation and communications, and international exchange, the Council seeks to shape a twenty-first century vision of the American immigrant experience.
The Immigration Justice Campaign is a collaboration between the American Immigration Council and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. The Campaign is a broad-based project to activate a community of lawyers (and other volunteers with supporting skills) to defend detained immigrants facing removal and to advocate for due process and justice for noncitizens targeted for immigration enforcement.
We are seeking talent to join our team!
Your Role …
The Pro Bono Coordinator is responsible for cultivating and working with the 8000+ volunteers in the Immigration Justice Campaign’s growing network. The Campaign’s volunteers consist of attorneys as well as supporting non-attorney volunteer such as law students, paralegals, and interpreters/translators. The Coordinator will be tasked with engaging volunteers to receive training, represent detained immigrants (or serve in a supporting role on a legal team), and advocate for the due process rights of noncitizens. In particular, the Coordinator will take primary responsibility for cultivating the volunteer pool and ensuring placements are made at particular organizations that the Campaign is partnering with to serve specific detention centers nationwide.
The position requires designing and executing an engagement ladder for different kinds of volunteers, assessing ways to increase repeat volunteer engagement, and building out new pro bono projects to create new opportunities for engagement. In addition, the Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting new volunteers to the Campaign community, including developing and maintaining relationships with law firms. Finally, the Pro Bono Coordinator is tasked with keeping track of data on volunteers (including logging interactions and assisting with the team’s data tracking needs), reporting out on volunteer engagement data, and assisting from time to time on other data-related projects.
Essential job functions of this role include:
- Think creatively about and help design and execute engagement strategies for the Campaign’s robust and growing volunteer network;
- Work directly with volunteers by phone and email to answer their questions, place them with pro bono cases, ensure they are oriented and launched on their detained removal defense matters, and serve as point of contact to help them navigate the Campaign’s training and mentorship resources;
- Participate in several weekly meetings with the Campaign’s pro bono coordination team and in check-in meetings with our partner sites;
- Take responsibility for cultivating volunteer networks for specific Campaign pilot site partners;
- Take a leading role with respect to maintaining the Campaign’s volunteer database, including not only inputting data on the Coordinator’s own volunteer relationships but also assisting the team with volunteer-related data needs as they arise (e.g., identifying volunteers in the network, reporting on volunteer engagement, entering certain data, etc.);
- Help work on the Campaign’s volunteer engagement ladder;
- Build certain pro bono project as needed;
- Recruit volunteers into the Campaign network, including speaking on webinars, giving live presentations, etc.;
- Help build and maintain relationships with law firm partners;
- Interface with lawyers, advocates, and other volunteers (email, phone and online); and,
- Remain flexible to perform other related duties and tasks as assigned.
As with all positions at the Council, this position requires commitment to the Council’s mission.
Your Background …
Undergraduate degree and 2 - 3 years’ legal experience required, with experience in immigration-related field a plus. Juris Doctor candidates will receive immediate consideration.
Position requires demonstrable experience successfully building pro bono projects or coordinating volunteers.
Prior experience recruiting and coordinating legal volunteers a plus.
Experience using web-based volunteer management systems and online community platforms to recruit and enhance volunteer engagement a plus.
Our Workplace …
We offer an extremely generous total compensation package (salary and benefits). Benefits include – medical, dental, vision, 401k with employer match, monthly transit subsidy, flexible work schedules, 3+ weeks’ vacation, 11 Federal holidays, on-site fitness center and many more exciting benefit programs.
Your Colleagues …
- Dedicated, dynamic, collaborative and compassionate.
- A community of individuals passionate about their work.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. For consideration, please make sure to include your resume, cover letter and a completed questionnaire.
OTHER JOB OPENINGS
- Managing Attorney, Dilley Pro Bono Project
San Antonio, Texas