Development Director, Bike MS
- Experience Level
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and their families.
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
We have an exciting opportunity to lead our fundraising and engagement efforts for Bike MS is our Northern California market as the Development Director, Bike MS.
The Development Director, Bike MS oversees the implementation and execution of Bike MS events in the Northern California market to meet or exceed revenue and engagement goals. This position will lead a team of fundraisers charged with accelerating revenue growth through acquisition and retention of teams, fundraisers, and sponsors.
This position will also collaborate with market leads, key volunteers, and board members to ensure an exceptional event experience for all. This position reports to the Sr. Director, Bike MS and as part of the national Bike MS team will also support the fundraising, recruitment and cultivation strategies for Bike MS. This position may oversee additional markets as needed.
- Accelerates revenue growth by ensuring each Bike MS market in the assigned territory has a strong operational plan following Society strategies focused on acquisition, retention and cultivation of top fundraisers, teams, participants, sponsors, bike shops, bike clubs, etc.
- Works in collaboration with Bike MS leadership and the local leadership team in the relationship management strategy for fundraisers at all levels, teams, team captain, corporate partners and volunteers.
- Working with Bike MS leadership, will ensure that national fundraising strategies are understood by market staff and that the staff is achieving its goals as defined in the operational plan
- Coaches, develops and directly supervises a team responsible for executing Bike MS events in the territory. Identifies, develops and grows staff capacity (skills and talents) to achieve measurable and sustainable results while removing obstacles, providing timely feedback and coaching to improve performance and behaviors.
- Works in collaboration with the Sr. Director of Bike to ensure an effective Bike MS fundraising staff structure is in place for each market based on budgeted revenue and growth potential.
- Frequently communicates with the local staff including presidents to: ensure effective execution of the campaign in each market, assess volunteer engagement opportunities, and discuss corporate development opportunities. ,
- Oversees the execution of the integrated marketing and communication plan focused on acquisition, retention and revenue growth for each market in the assigned event revenue portfolio.
Facilitates Volunteer Engagement for fundraising and event experience in the assigned event revenue portfolio
- Increases the number of Society volunteers focused on Bike MS by recognizing and recruiting talent
- Engages volunteers through meaningful and impactful work that is well defined and structured by employing the strategies, tools and resources in their local market.
- Ensures that volunteers are fueling the success and expanding the capacity by coaching to and assisting staff with building action-oriented volunteer leadership committees for fundraising (acquisition of sponsors, teams and participants) and event experience (the quality of the experience a participant has from the time they register through completion of the event) that will be led by the market Bike MS staff.
Provides Leadership and expertise as part of the Bike MS responsible for achieving revenue goals
- Ensures the strategies, resources and tools created by the marketing, relationship development and event experience teams are deployed in each market to drive revenue and registration.
- Collaborates with other market based revenue channel leaders and the president/REVP to provide a unified and consistent experience for sponsors, participants, donors and volunteers that are shared between revenue channels.
- Bridges corporate and volunteer relationships to other markets where new teams and be seeded and additional sponsorship and be realized.
- Ensures communication and integration between the development team and other revenue channels in their market
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferably in Non-profit management, PR, Communications, Marketing and/or Business background preferred but not required depending on experience.
- 12 years of directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- At least 7 years of combined leadership and development experience including 2 years in a management fundraising position with the National MS Society or other non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability in strategic planning, staff coaching and fundraising, marketing, budgeting and analytics to drive measurable results and focus resources on work that will excel revenue growth.
- Ability to analyze metrics and adjust market plans based on the data and results.
- Ability to manage staff and volunteers from a distance while deepening relationships and creating trust.
- Experience in creating and delivering organization initiatives involving significant dollar amounts and implications.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, complex situations and strong relationship and communication skills to provide leadership to a large number of staff and constituents.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- Ability to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Reporting tools (Metrics that Matter or similar reporting software).
- Knowledge and ability to use Society technology platforms including Blackbaud, GoTo Meeting etc.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends to support events
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.