Humanitarian Advocacy Consultant
- Position Type
- Contract / Freelance
Time Period: 4 months, project fee, Feb-May 2019
Posted: January 2019
Priority Deadline: January 21, 2019
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment–political and financial –in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Women Deliver’s Humanitarian Advocacy program is launching a stream of work to explore the concept of a feminist humanitarian system. A feminist approach to humanitarian aid will seek to redress the imbalances between men and women. It will value and recognize girls and women’s leadership and support the organizations and movements focused on their health and rights. And it will strengthen women’s voices and decision-making power to ensure their meaningful inclusion in the programs and policies that affect their lives.
We are recruiting a consultant to draft a white paper that will explore this idea and work with the Senior Manager, Humanitarian Advocacy, to:
- Engage and liaise with Women Deliver Humanitarian Advocacy team;
- Undertake desk research that draws on theoretical underpinnings of gender-sensitive humanitarian aid, gender transformative programming approaches, the localization agenda, and other related topics;
- Utilize available operational guidance documents, academic articles, and grey literature to inform the research;
- Identify key stakeholders for interviews to inform the research, representing academics, donor organizations, UN agencies, NGOs, and civil society organizations in humanitarian settings;
- Develop a question guide to manage interviews with key stakeholders;
- Undertake no less than 25 key stakeholder interviews;
- Write a professional white paper on the components of a feminist approach to humanitarian aid, comprising the findings of the desk research and stakeholder interviews, to be finalized through consultations with the Senior Manager;
- After completion of white paper, attend final meeting with Humanitarian Advocacy team to advise on how Women Deliver can push this agenda forward in multiple advocacy and communications channels.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus.
- 12+ years of professional experience in the humanitarian sector, including no less than 5 years of field-based humanitarian aid work focused on advocacy, programming, and/or coordination.
- Knowledge of key issues in gender equality as it related to humanitarian response, including sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender sensitive approaches, gender-based violence, and girls’ and women’s empowerment.
- Experience in policy and advocacy, preferably at the international level with the United Nations and governments.
- Strong understanding of humanitarian architecture, key stakeholders, and duty-bearers.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and conduct work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Skills to work in English required.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to: email@example.com