Associate Campaign Director
- Experience Level
The California Science Center is one of the world's leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
The Associate Campaign Director is part of a growing team that supports the California Science Center Foundation's EndeavourLA Campaign for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. This position will be responsible for managing a portfolio of qualified major gift donors and prospects and supporting executive staff and volunteer leaders in advancing campaign strategy.
In addition, this position will be responsible for overseeing operational systems for the campaign, developing and implementing successful initiatives to manage a growing pipeline of prospects and donors. The Associate Campaign Director will work closely with an independent consultant and the Campaign Associate to refine our moves management system and portfolio assignment strategy and develop new processes for organizing and supporting volunteer committees. This position will also contribute to the campaign team’s effective use and maintenance of the Science Center’s Constituent Relationship Management system, Tessitura.
This is a great opportunity for an operationally savvy development professional to also play an important role in major gift work and contribute to the realization of a one-of-a-kind educational destination for Southern California.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects, including: develop customized cultivation strategies to move prospective donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; initiate contacts with prospects; make solicitations when appropriate; maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- Contribute to strategies and support the CEO and Chief Advancement Officer’s portfolios.
- Provide staff support to the Campaign Committee as a liaison to Trustees and other leaders, following up regularly on assigned actions to advance the campaign.
- Oversee advancement operations for the campaign including prospect development (research and prospect management), donor recognition and stewardship, and database management and reporting.
- Make recommendations and initiate new processes to manage a growing pipeline of prospects and donors.
- Oversee the campaign’s moves management system and strategies for tracking of portfolios, staff and volunteer assignments and prospect activities.
- Participate on the Science Center’s interdepartmental Tessitura core team and ensure campaign priorities are advanced.
- Lead the identification and championing various tech solutions that support fundraising goals.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Previous fundraising experience, five or more years; campaign experience preferred.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent follow-through and ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks while balancing all assigned responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor with demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive relationships with senior staff, board members and major donors.
- In-depth knowledge of development operations best practices, preferably for a successful capital or comprehensive campaign.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to strategize, set and meet goals.
- Excellent prospect research, persuasive writing and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with keen attention to detail.
- Comfort in creating accurate reports and researching and analyzing large groups of data to identify prospects at all levels.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs and donor databases or constituent relationship management systems. Experience with Tessitura is a plus.
- Prior management experience preferred.
$62,000 to $67,000 a year. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR at csc mail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.