Homeless Outreach Case Manager
- Experience Level
Intown Collaborative Ministries is seeking applicants for four full-time homeless street outreach case managers. Intown is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission to prevent and reverse homelessness and hunger in Intown Atlanta. Since its founding in 2010, Intown has grown to be a leader in homeless outreach and food security in the Atlanta community. Intown’s homeless outreach program is guided by a Housing First philosophy and has grown to be the most effective team in the City of Atlanta. The current team of four full-time staff has received significant new funding to add 4 additional full-time case managers.
The case manager will engage, assess, enroll, and navigate people experiencing chronic homelessness from the streets to permanent housing with needed supports. This detail-oriented person will report to the Assistant Director of Outreach and work in close collaboration with the Director of Outreach and other program case managers.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree, in social work or related field, strongly preferred
- Certified Peer Specialists are encouraged to apply
- Master’s degree in social work preferred
- 1-3 years working in homeless services is required
- 1-3 years working in the behavioral health and/or substance abuse field is preferred
- Certification in Addiction Counseling is a plus
- Proficiency with Client Track or another HMIS is preferred
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency are required
- A passion for connecting with people experiencing homelessness—who are often “service resistant”—is a must
- Conduct ongoing, and often long-term, street outreach, engaging with unsheltered homeless individuals and families
- Regularly travel in a team of at least two to wooded areas, under bridges and overpasses, to safely engage and work with people experiencing chronic homelessness in encampments
- Conduct intake and assessment to determine case goals to overcome barriers for chronically homeless individuals and families
- Conduct SPDAT assessments for Housing and Coordinated Entry (CE) assessments
- Participate and enroll within the Client Track HMIS for CE and Outreach services
- Provide housing navigation services, assisting with transportation and system navigation skills to access documentation necessary to qualify chronic homeless individuals and families for housing. Navigation may include: transporting clients and walking alongside them to obtain birth certificates, ID’s, TB tests, income verifications, HUD McKinney forms, and mental health evaluations
- Provide referrals and help clients maintain contact with services for disability applications and employment
- Provide referrals to emergency shelters, as requested by clients
- Upon receiving housing referrals to Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH), assist in connecting client to PSH provider for interview and lease-up process, PSH enrollment process
- Providing after-care to clients once placed in housing, assisting with transitioning to PSH support services and assisting in navigating barriers to maintaining housing, as they arise
- Initiate case conferences for clients experiencing ongoing barriers to housing
- Participate in annual COC Point in Time (PIT) count
The Outreach Case Manager position is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. Most work will take place during normal business hours (between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) but will also include some evening, early morning, and possible on-call evening hours. There is some flexibility in start- and end-time and possible administrative work-from-home days.
The Case Manager position is a grant-funded position that is renewable based on performance and community need. Intown fully expects the program to be renewed through at least the end of 2021.
As the outreach work will span the entirety of the City of Atlanta, Case manager will travel regularly to and from Intown’s Virginia Highland or Lavista Park neighborhoods in personal and/or agency vehicles. Case managers must have a valid driver’s license, their own personal vehicle, and a clean driving record. Intown will reimburse mileage at the federal mileage rate.
The Outreach Case Manager reports to the Assistance Director of Outreach. Supervision will take place regularly during regular business hours.
Total compensation is $36,000 - $46,000 and includes generous personal leave, 12 holiday days, and one artistic-day per year, where staff pursue personal artistic endeavors. Intown's compensation includes funds that can be used for healthcare or other benefits.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (including the context in which they know you) in Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Only applications received by January 25, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. EST and including all requested information will be considered. Candidates are encouraged to apply promptly. No phone calls please. Please put “Intown Homeless Outreach Case Manager” and nothing else in the subject line.
Intown considers applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identification, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.