Staff Development Coordinator
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Staff Developement Coordinator Grade: MGT Annual Pay : $93,203/YR
Location: Washington, DC
The Staff Development Coordinator (SDC) is responsible for the development, writing, conducting and facilitating of trainings and other learning opportunities designed to enhance organizing skills and leadership abilities of union organizers within the SEIU IU Organizing Divisions and our affiliated local unions. A SDC must be able to assess the development of organizers and identify needs and opportunities of organizers to grow and advance to the next level of development and responsibility. The SDC must be able to conduct and facilitate trainings and learning opportunities in both classroom and other settings.
The Staff Development Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing trainings for union organizers that align with campaign and overall SEIU goals.
- Creating and writing relevant and effective training materials, including curricula, hand-outs, power point presentations, and interactive exercises.
- Learning and utilizing creative training techniques and approaches to teach concepts, skills, and best practices of union organizing and staff development.
- Adapting teaching strategies according to the training audience and applying the best approaches to maximize the learning opportunities of trainees.
- Work in coordination with IU Division and/or local union leadership to develop and implement strategic trainings and other staff development components.
- Work in coordination with IU Divisions on their staff development programs, evaluating their needs and supports implementation.
- Provides leadership in upholding SEIU's overall staff development standards.
- Facilitating and providing feedback in large and small group training discussions, exercises and practice labs to support trainees' development and enhance their understanding of and ability to utilizing training information and materials in the classroom and field.
- Conducting new hire trainings and orientations to acquaint new organizing staff to the SEIU and its policies and procedures.
- Assisting in the
- Assisting in oversight of SEIU Organizers-in-Training and coordinating with appropriate field/campaign managers to ensure each OIT is receiving appropriate training and feedback, and reviews are completed in accordance with relevant SEIU CBA.
- Working closely with the Center for Organizer Development administrative team to ensure training logistical requirements and needs are successfully executed and met.
- Additional responsibilities, as may be required, including but not limited to:
Maintaining and updating training materials in training database; maintaining and monitoring a training budget; researching conferences and external training events that would benefit individuals or group staff development.
Direction and Decision Making:
A Staff Development Coordinator is a member of the staff development team of the Center for Organizer Development (within the SEIU National Organizing Program) and reports directly to the Center for Organizer Development Director.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; five (5) years of external labor organizing experience; or a combination of a minimum of two (2) years external labor organizing and three (3) years relevant issue-based community organizing. A minimum of three (3) years of campaign management experience, including supervising, leading and developing organizing teams. Five (5) years of experience in developing curriculum and training and demonstrated experience with adult education. Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is preferred.
A combination of relevant educational work experiences that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
Specialized Knowledge and Training
- Extensive experience in developing curricula that is learner-centered, participatory, and incorporates popular education approaches.
- Demonstrated ability in adult education, including training and curriculum development.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive social and economic justice.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, writing, conducting and facilitating classroom and field-based trainings.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to exercise good judgment, working independently in complex political situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to build and manage effective organizing teams, and to incorporate effective staff development techniques in their work managing teams.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to work with a diversity of people.
- Ability to understand and analyze organizational, campaign training and staff development needs to effectively align the same with training curricula, materials and practice labs.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Word, Power Point and other computer software in order to produce effective training materials.
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects and meet established timelines.
- A self-starter with proven ability to work independently.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment.
- Driver's License and the ability and willingness to travel by airplane.
- The ability and willingness to travel and work long and extended hours. Travel will involve an extensive amount of trips, away from home, for days at a time.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/yyw5726zqtq3gp89