- Position Type
- Full Time
Sempervirens Fund seeks a full-time Development Manager for this exciting opportunity to be responsible for our legacy and tribute giving programs. Make a positive impact on the Santa Cruz Mountains as your efforts will not only protect the Redwoods but also the other creatures who live there. Be a part of a dynamic, collegial and fun team of five professional development staff. Work directly with donors, visiting Big Basin, Castle Rock, and Butano, helping them make a legacy gift or dedicate a tree or grove. Steward existing tribute and legacy donors as well as market the programs to new audiences. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to take these programs and build them to the next level. This position reports directly to the Director of Development.
Sempervirens Fund (SVF) is a fast-paced, innovative, non-profit, land conservation organization dedicated to protecting, connecting and restoring the redwood forests and surrounding landscapes of the Santa Cruz Mountains, and ensuring they are accessible for people to enjoy. Founded in 1900, Sempervirens Fund has a venerable legacy that includes the establishment of Big Basin, Castle Rock, Butano and Portola Redwoods State Parks and the 31-mile Skyline-to-the Sea Trail. Today, we are finding new ways to protect one of the most significant natural and scenic areas in the world replete with towering redwoods, clear running streams filled with coho salmon, majestic ocean views and miles of trails.
For more information about Sempervirens Fund, please visit www.sempervirens.org.
- Manage and improve the legacy giving and tribute programs.
- Identify and solicit tribute giving prospects capable of making a minimum gift of $1,000 to dedicate a tree or a minimum gift of $25,000 to dedicate a grove of trees.
- Identify and solicit legacy giving prospects to grow the Redwoods Legacy Society through personal contact, small events, and mailings.
- Develop, implement, and continue to refine overall strategies working with current legacy and tribute donors.
- Use moves management to cultivate and steward prospects and donors.
- Supervise the work of the Donor Relations Coordinator who assists with identifying trees and groves.
- Write marketing materials and communications for the legacy and tribute giving programs.
- Design and manage the tribute and legacy giving program budget.
- Present updates to the Director of Development and organizational leaders.
- Produce reports and donor briefs as needed.
- Manage bequest administration, maintains records of bequests in process and communicates with estate administrators.
- Three years demonstrated and progressively challenging fundraising experience, including personal solicitation.
- Commitment to the mission of Sempervirens Fund.
- Knowledge of various legacy gift vehicles preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically, including the ability to initiate and set priorities.
- Excellent time-management, problem solving skills and ability to work independently.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Experience working with Board members and volunteers preferred.
- Personal qualities of integrity, sense of humor, and “can do, will do” attitude.
- Direct experience with donor and prospect databases preferred, including using moves management and Raisers Edge.
- Willingness to travel within the Bay Area for prospect visits.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to hike in forests and lift up to 20 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Sempervirens Fund is proud to offer a competitive salary and a generous, comprehensive package of health, dental and retirement benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Sempervirens Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from a diversity of backgrounds to apply. To be considered, please send your cover letter and resume (as a single PDF) and put in the subject line “Your Name – Development Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is January 31, 2019.