Director of Development
- Experience Level
Horizons Atlanta (HA) believes that every child in Atlanta, regardless of background, should have the same chance at making a positive impact on his or her community. By eliminating the critical barriers to success that many of our children face, we aim to put them on a path to:
- Read proficiently by the end of third grade,
- Graduate from high school,
- Receive higher education, and
- Become globally competitive professionals
We accomplish this by providing our students access to high quality academics in an engaging, tuition-free, six-week summer enrichment program focused on literacy, math, and swim skills, as well as complementary school year activities.
We are a rapidly growing organization. In 2018, we served 820 K-8th grade students at nine metro Atlanta private schools, colleges, and universities on an operating budget of $2.2 million. Our student seat capacity will increase to nearly 1,000 in 2019 on a projected budget of $2.6 million.
HA currently seeks an experienced Director of Development to assist the Executive Director and Board of Directors with the design and implementation of a strategic, cohesive, and systematic advancement program to broaden HA’s development, outreach, and stakeholder relations activities. The role includes leading the planning and execution of key tasks to increase and diversify our donor base and strategically elevate the HA brand in the education and philanthropic communities.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute HA’s fundraising plan, with the support of the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Seek major gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies through donor correspondence, event/reception planning, and personal visits
- Build effective donor management systems, including managing our donor database system (Salesforce), to effectively track and maintain deep relationships with HA supporters
- Produce and submit detailed partnership reports for our lead partners that communicate key objectives, programming, results, and impact of the partnership
- Oversee special donor events, including our Horizons Giving Day and GA Gives Day initiatives; Evaluate opportunities for other one-time or recurring signature fundraising events
- Maintain an active schedule of solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship calls to donors and new prospects.
- Work closely with Executive Director on key marketing initiatives (events, brochure development, videos, press releases, etc.)
- Coordinate public relations, donor relations, budget management, and the generation of publications and proposals, both internally and through external consultants
- Develop marketing toolkits with tailored materials for prospective donors, host institutions, board members, and “high impact” champions
- Collaborate and support HA’s team of site directors to build strong fundraising plans for each host institution program
- Present development reports to the Board of Directors and Development Committee at their respective meetings (5X per year)
- Create and promote opportunities for volunteers, including developing pathways to philanthropy
Candidates should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of seven years of professional fundraising leadership experience in complex advancement and donor engagement programs
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, including a history of soliciting/securing five-figure gifts
- Direct donor identification, cultivation, and solicitation experience
- Foundation relationship and grant writing experience Persuasive public speaking, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word (or Google Suites alternatives)
- Familiarity with donor CRM (Salesforce) and electronic communication technology (MailChimp)
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, detail-oriented, and demonstrated ability to manage deadlines and multiple ongoing projects from start to finish
- Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders (e.g. senior corporate executives, school presidents, Horizons parents, Board of Directors, etc.)
- Ability to effectively “manage up” to the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team
- Ability to manage ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment Unwavering commitment to customer service and satisfaction
- Relentless results orientation
- Commitment to the mission of providing life changing academic and enrichment programs to underserved children
- Strong goal-oriented mantra with a strong desire to build a career within Horizons Atlanta
This position reports to the Executive Director and will maintain excellent internal and external stakeholder relationships for the purpose of organizational resource advancement.