AVP of Earned Media and Social Media
- Experience Level
Reporting to the Vice President of Enterprise Communications and Reputation Management, Emory University's central Division of Communications and Public Affairs is seeking a superior earned and social media team leader to position the international research university among a range of audiences for their open Assistant Vice President of Earned and Social Media position.
- Leads a shared services team of earned and social media professionals that connects strategic content with stakeholders around the globe.
- Understands how to shape original content to maximize potential for engagement.
- Expertise in recognizing news value inherent in research and academic thought leadership.
- Candidate will have excellent media relations skills, particularly in national and international markets.
- Knowledge of higher education and health care media a plus.
- In addition, the candidate will be a leader in social media strategy, including best practices in SEO and audience engagement through different social platforms.
- Experience in media training a plus.
- Performs additional duties as required.
- A bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field
- Ten or more years of senior-level communications management experience.
- A master's degree is preferred.
- Superb writing skills, a sharp news sense, keen analytic abilities.
- Proven track record in successful national and international media placement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of/experience in mainstream, digital/online and social media.
- Experience working for a large, complex organization; experience working for an institution of higher education is preferred.
ADDITIONAL JOB DETAILS AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ideally, seeking an experienced forward-thinking, executive leader with top level operational experience in the following:
- Driving Social Media strategy, campaign implementation and management (organic and paid),
- Media Relations, from media placement to working with reporters and various news outlets (local, national across mediums. Helpful, but not required, experience with higher education or health / science segments.
- Proven ability to divine the best opportunity to drive a story’s spread via earned or owned channels. If earned, experience identifying and approaching appropriate outlets. If owned, experience publishing and driving engagement with stories via digital channels (.edu, social media, partner sites).
- A strong attention to detail, especially related to experience running complicated, calendared communications marketing-communications campaigns.
- Established knowledge of Reputation Management and Crisis Communications, and the acumen to make decisions in order to shift pre-existing content or media outreach plans in order to accommodate a fast course of action.