Executive Team Manager
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Executive Leadership Team (ELT) Manager partners closely with the President to manage the work of the ELT. As a member of the ELT, the Manager sets agendas, keeps the team on task, manages high-priority projects, convenes stakeholders, develops recommendations, and manages information flow to and from the ELT. The Executive Team Manager directly oversees Board Relations staff.
EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP TEAM MANAGEMENT
- Works with the President to set priorities for the Executive Leadership Team, scoping projects and tracking their execution.
- Directs the functioning of the group, setting agendas, designing and driving team processes, running effective meetings, and working with President to ensure informed, transparent, and timely decision-making.
- Ensures ELT is communicating effectively throughout the organization and supports staff-wide communications from the President.
- Initiates or delegates initial drafts of policy changes/additions or any key written/verbal communications that come from the ELT as a body or the Office of the President.
- With the support of the Internal Events Team, partners with President and other ELT members to plan and execute ELT retreats.
- In partnership with Internal Communications team, oversees planning of All Staff Calls, including setting agendas and ensuring ELT strategic participation.
- Serves on agenda steering committee for All Staff Meeting, ensuring ELT members are updated on process and facilitate ELT member feedback on agenda development.
- Tracks and manages key dates and deliverables requiring ELT participation such as budget calendars, annual benefits review, performance review process, etc.
- Project manages key initiatives of the ELT, ensuring deadlines are met and outcomes achieved.
EXECUTIVE TEAM PARTICIPATION
- Serves as a member of the Executive Team, which provides institutional leadership on policy, risk management and financial decisions, and internal culture and communications.
- Contributes to functional leadership team dynamics.
- Contributes to successful completion of annual budget cycle and risk management.
SUPERVISON AND OVERSIGHT
- Oversees the team responsible for managing Board and Council relations, including Board Meetings. Directly supervises this team’s manager.
Management (Essential Functions)
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Provides staff with performance feedback and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
An ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus.
- Experience working with organizational leadership (Non-profit experience preferred).
- Experience working with a board.
- Experience working with diverse teams.
- Excellent organization and planning abilities.
- Demonstrated instinct for anticipating needs of executive staff.
- Able to exercise sound, independent judgement and problem solving skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse. cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement projects and work plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and proficiency with public speaking.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate emerging issues, envision growth and embrace change.
- A leadership style that is collaborative and inclusive with good listening skills, high emotional intelligence, and the ability to interact effectively with people from different backgrounds.
- High levels of energy, flexibility, and personal resilience.
- Willingness to receive feedback and adapt in response; comfort with giving feedback.
- Commitment to maintain the confidence of the President and ELT and handle sensitive information with strict confidentiality.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural competency.
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands teams strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two-page cover letter that addresses your qualifications, why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission, and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.