- Experience Level
The Program Coordinator develops strong leadership in the predominantly immigrant community amongst residents and school parents by facilitating parenting workshops that focus on early childhood education, child development, and on the educational system and resources to ensure that children and parents receive the necessary services and resources to poise them to be successful in school and in life.
The Program Coordinator reports directly to SOMOS Mayfair’s Program Manager and works alongside a team of five in working with families to understand and support early childhood development and advance strategies for authentic parent decision making in our education systems to expand and increase early childhood opportunities. The Coordinator will be charged with facilitation and/or coordinating parenting workshops across the Painter Elementary community to support parent engagement, early learning, and increasing early development resources in the community. The Coordinator will work with the Program Manager to increase the capacity in delivering our FIRST 5 scope of work while also continuing to align our early learning and literacy work with our community building strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Increase parents’ access to parenting and early learning core components (60%)
- Support SOMOS Mayfair leadership development curriculum to parents at Painter Elementary in the Alum Rock Union School District enrollment zone by conducting parenting workshops that focus on parent engagement and child development;
- Develop strong programming and timeline that include outreach, curriculum implementation, evaluation, and continued family engagement;
- Develop concrete strategies and activities to support the overall goals of parent engagement and opportunities for early learning;
- Developed leadership of participants to increase the overall community power and close the opportunity and achievement gap;
- Coordinate work with SOMOS staff to align literacy, parent engagement and organizing strategies, platform, outreach, and strategic direction across all community leaders and schools;
- Work with Program Manager to develop messages and analysis of Community Power and Early School Success.
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (20%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, base school, school district and agencies to ensure and promote the long-term organizational mission and goals;
- Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with stakeholders, partners and allies;
- Conduct critical community and stakeholder analysis to uphold and reconcile different interests impacted by ongoing organizing activities, tactics, and goals.
Impact Evaluation (15%)
- Participate in conducting SOMOS Mayfair’s annual survey to measure impacts;
- Ensure program evaluation tools are correctly utilized to measure impact with group participants;
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support Program Manager biannually;
- Conduct strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous growth.
Organizational Development (5%)
- Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
- Contribute to the development of organizational world-view and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing social justice in immigrant, working class communities;
- At least 2 years of experience in the early education field/nonprofit field
- Experience in delivering FIRST 5 or other early learning programs, services and curriculums;
- Able to interact well with young children and adults;
- Experience in public presentations and group facilitation;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with a broad audience;
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English OR Vietnamese-English required;
- Knowledge of community organizing, community leadership development or peer-to-peer service delivery models (ie. Promotor) in working poor, immigrant communities;
- Knowledge of popular education methodology;
- Knowledge of local community resources and agencies;
- Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, Internet and e-mail;
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required;
- Fingerprint and background check required.
SOMOS Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.