Volunteer Program Associate, SE
- Position Type
- Full Time
Volunteer Program Associate, SE
MedShare engages a thriving volunteer corps of over 20,000 individuals annually in order to fulfill its mission of improving the quality of life of people and our planet. The Volunteer Program Associate plays an integral role is keeping recovered medical supplies out of the landfill, and available for hospitals and clinics in developing countries. They lead medical product sorting sessions, complete administrative tasks within the Volunteer Program, and collaborate with other Southeast operations and program staff to ensure an efficient flow of recovered medical product is available for shipping. The Volunteer Program Associate plays a crucial role in conveying the mission of MedShare to the public and ensuring that products are sorted and prepared accurately in order to be matched with the needs of partnering healthcare facilities throughout the globe.
Reports To: Volunteer Program Manager, SE
Type of Position: Full-Time, (Tuesday – Saturday)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead group volunteer sorting sessions of medical supplies, including Saturday sort sessions.
- Orient volunteers to MedShare and review instructions for specific volunteer tasks.
- Serve as a source of support and guidance to volunteers.
- Ensure MedShare’s high quality standards are met by working with volunteers to correctly identify, label and process donated medical supplies.
- Support volunteer retention efforts by educating volunteers on the impact of MedShare, and reporting data from each sorting session.
- Prepare for sorting sessions: ensure requisite materials (labels, boxes, tape, triwalls, etc.) are available, set up categories, and prepare product to be sorted.
- Complete post-sorting session: move sorted items to the warehouse, log volunteer product data break down materials, clean space and prepare for the next volunteer session.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of volunteer work, making improvements in collaboration with the Volunteer Program Manager to help MedShare’s volunteers do high-quality work as efficiently as possible.
- Provide other support as needed to the SE Volunteer Program, including:
- Recruiting, retaining and recognizing volunteer groups and individuals.
- Answering volunteer inquiries and scheduling volunteer groups as needed.
- Drafting letters for certification of hours for individuals or groups.
- Sending thank you emails to volunteers.
- Research medical items and familiarize yourself with MedShare’s product inventory.
- Support special events.
- Work on special projects and other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts, business/nonprofit management, or a medical field (or two years of equivalent work experience).
- Passionate about improving healthcare and supporting the environment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings and weekends.
- Previous experience leading volunteer groups or individuals.
- Excellent communication skills a must, both verbal and written.
- Lifting requirements (maximum amount of weight): 50 lbs. and frequent use of manual pallet jack
- Must have a positive attitude and enjoy interacting with diverse groups of people.
- Hard working, eager to learn, and a self-starter.
- High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and internet research.
- Basic knowledge of medical products or experience working in a hospital setting a plus.
- Experience living or working with diverse groups, international experience, or fluency in a second language a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Volunteer Program Associate, SE” in the subject line. A slate of successful candidates will be invited for interviews. Due to the large number of resumes generated, only successful candidates will be contacted. Phone calls are discouraged.
MedShare is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, race or ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, physical or medical condition, political affiliations or sexual orientation.
Thank you for considering us!