Vice President of Finance
- Degree Level
Vice President of Finance
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Finance will be responsible for leading and directing the fiscal functions of Skyland Trail and ensuring its financial viability. S/he will work closely with the Board, Finance Committee and senior staff, and will define processes and implement the financial infrastructure needed to support substantial growth over the next 5 to 10 years as well as continue to build and manage effective and streamlined financial systems.
- Manage and oversee the financial stability of the organization including:
- Financial performance, cash flow and cash management
- Patient accounts functions (e.g., billing, collections, recoupments, refunds, cash posting)
- Monthly financial reporting and related accounting functions
- Payroll and related processes
- Accounts payable and related processes
- Purchasing cards
- Escheat reporting
- Annual budgeting for operational and capital budgets
- Financial forecasting
- Annual audit
- Tax reporting
- Oversee and monitor monthly and annual financial results and performance metrics against planned results and provide clear understanding of variances to leadership and Board.
- Oversee the development and implementation of all financial policies and internal controls for the organization that will improve the fiscal effectiveness of the organization.
- Evaluate and advise on the financial impact of strategic expansions of services or new services through pro-forma business analysis.
- Negotiate and maintain oversight responsibility for third party payer contracts.
- Be an advisor from a financial perspective on all contracts into which the organization may enter (e.g. employee benefits, risk management).
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Coordinate the Finance, Investment and Financial Aid Committees of the Board.
- With investment counsel, oversee investments of the organization and maintain compliance with the organization’s investment policy.
- Oversee and monitor all human resource functions of the organization.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in accounting or related field; preferably with experience in mental health and/or healthcare administration. CPA designation required.
- Strong non-profit experience and business acumen; ideally has worked in a senior management role for 10+ years in a non-profit organization with management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of a department of at least 5 staff members.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting as well as revenue cycle management and third party payor practices; skills include budget and resource development, audit, and strategic planning; demonstrated success in developing and monitoring systems to manage work that involve high levels of collaboration.
- Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance, accounting and billing.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, especially the ability to partner with and build positive and effective relationships across Skyland Trail and the community.
- Understanding of the unique need to prioritize recovery services and patient care in a business model.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the mission of Skyland Trail.
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment while acting as a change agent, also driving towards clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding people and systems.
- Creativity in developing cutting edge processes and care delivery mechanisms in concert with the Senior Management Team.
- Has a collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to the success of the company.
Reports to: President