Director of Finance
- Experience Level
Frazer Center is currently seeking a Director of Finance with a proven background in nonprofit finance to lead the fiscal operations and ensure the financial health of our organization. The Director of Finance is a key member of our highly collaborative senior leadership team. The Frazer Center is a nationally-accredited Atlanta nonprofit that has worked for the inclusion of people with disabilities in the Atlanta community since 1949. Each day at Frazer Center, 85 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities participate in supported and customized employment and community life engagement programs, and 180 young children with and without disabilities learn together in an inclusive early childhood education program. Frazer Center also operates a social enterprise and community greenspace in the Frazer Forest and Cator Woolford Garden, located on its historic 39-acre campus. Frazer Center’s diverse funding base includes earned income from tuition and event rentals, foundation and corporate grants, individual donations, special event proceeds, and government contracts. Frazer Center has an operating budget of $4.7 million, a staff of 85, and a healthy reserve to support the organization’s stability. We are looking for a strong, collaborative leader who is committed to Frazer Center’s vision of a more inclusive community.
CATEGORY: Permanent Full-time – Exempt REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS: Develop and lead a team to support finance, business planning and budgeting for an organization comprised of multiple business lines with both private and government funding within regulated industries. Serve as a strategic partner to the Chief Executive Officer by providing critical financial and operational information. Make actionable recommendations to assist in implementing the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide oversight of day-to-day financial operations including general accounting, accounts payable, annual audits, and regulatory reporting.
- Develop, implement and maintain all accounting systems and procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Responsible for overall financial management, including generating and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO and Board.
- Monitor AR aging schedule on a monthly basis and coordinate follow up with funders on a timely basis.
- Regularly review the organization’s businesses and propose ideas to protect and strengthen the Center’s financial health.
- Assess and communicate the impact of potential changes on the various programs and on the organization as a whole. Serve as a resource to the directors in evaluating program changes and improvements.
- Generate, present and interpret financial reports as needed, collaborating with the Board of Directors and management in decision-making processes.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow analysis.
- Manage banking relationships and oversee movement of funds to maximize returns while ensuring funds are secure.
- Ensure proper accounting of restricted funds.
- Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit and tax return activity.
- Facilitate financial aid process.
- Collaborate with senior staff on bid process and contract negotiations with vendors.
- Maintain strong communication with Board Treasurer and other Board officers and provide financial and analytical input as needed.
- Act as primary liaison to the Finance Committee, engaging the committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating models of the various programs. Work closely with the committee to strengthen the Center’s financial position.
- Participate in Strategic Planning process; create financial models as needed.
- Assess departmental progress toward strategic planning goals.
- Create agenda and materials for Finance and Facilities Committee and Board meeting, and assist in establishing yearly committee objectives.
- Supervise Staff Accountant, including managing work allocation, training and professional development, problem resolution, and performance evaluation...
- Negotiate annual insurance and workers compensation policies in collaboration with Director of Operations. Determine and implement cost-savings strategies.
- Coordinate with Director of Development on development of budgets and financial reports for funding entities and performing grant billing on a timely basis.
- Coordinate with Director of Facilities and Grounds on planning for capital expenditures.
- Review contracts and make recommendations prior to signing by Chief Executive Officer.