- Experience Level
The California Science Center is one of the world's leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
The Marketing Associate is a vital component of the Marketing Department and is responsible for a wide variety of duties requiring initiative, accuracy and tact. This includes conceptualizing and executing new strategies and tactics to effectively market the California Science Center’s public programs in support of its mission – to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences. The Marketing Associate is required to professionally interface with various stakeholders including the general public, marketing partners and internal staff. Also provides administrative support for the Marketing Department.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of new strategies and tactics to effectively market the Science Center’s exhibitions, IMAX movies, and select educational programs and events.
- Manage the Science Center’s Yelp and TripAdvisor profiles (reply to inquiries, upload photos, update messaging, etc.).
- Responsible for content management of marketing-related webpages on the Science Center’s website.
- In addition to researching science-related content, actively produce original content for sharing on the Science Center’s Facebook Page and evaluate analytics to maximize engagement and expand audience..
- Assist with developing original video content for promotional purposes.
- Develop and effectively execute engaging social media strategies and tactics.
- Create effective Google AdWords ads (non-profit grant account), evaluate performance, and regularly optimize.
- Assist with the graphic design process including social media graphics, web ads, and digital banners.
- Work closely with Print & Graphic Design Manager to ensure that all messaging on promotional materials is current, accurate, and consistent with the Science Center’s brand.
- Coordinate promotional giveaways.
- Represent Marketing Dept. at internal and external meetings as required.
- Upload TV commercials and IMAX movie trailers to YouTube channel along with appropriate descriptions and tags.
- Update and maintain current messaging in on-site marketing channels such as the Information Desk rack card display, IMAX slideshow, and LED screens at the Information Desk and box office.
- Assist with email marketing campaigns by providing content about exhibitions and IMAX films.
- Coordinate the execution of direct mail pieces, including interfacing with the mail house, the printer, and the Print and Graphic Design Manager.
- Execute promotional partnerships.
- Proofread all outgoing marketing materials (e-newsletter, brochures, rack cards, etc.).
- Coordinate distribution of marketing collateral to marketing partners as needed.
- Create mailing database of affinity groups for marketing campaigns.
- Conduct Science Center and IMAX surveys for marketing purposes.
- Coordinate marketing event logistics (may require occasionally working on weekends).
- Be informed of the latest science news.
- Understanding of current digital marketing trends.
- Process purchase orders and invoices.
- Collect, organize and maintain reports, advertisement tear sheets, marketing collateral samples, etc.
- Maintain detailed database of vendors.
- Sort and distribute department mail and FedEx.
- Provide film showtimes to distributors.
- Provide special project support as needed.
- Maintain office supplies and equipment.
- Report monthly film results to industry organizations.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college; Marketing degree a plus.
- Minimum 3 years marketing experience.
- Proficient in Mac OSX, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Strong organizational, communication and computer skills a must.
- Strong online research and database management skills.
- Ability to take direction, manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines and take initiative.
- Self-starter, innovative, creative and able to work independently as well as in teams.
- Familiarity with wordfly, Tessitura, Photoshop and content management systems (such as Drupal or WordPress) a plus.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Ability to work a 40-hour week required.