Licensing Specialist – Foster Care
- Degree Level
Title: Licensing Specialist – Foster Care
Department: Foster Care Programs
Reports to: Manager, Foster Home Recruitment
Job Summary: The Licensing Specialist – Foster Care is responsible for engaging interested parties, including individuals as well as through church coalitions, to recruit potential foster families, provide orientations and training, assess eligibility and appropriateness throughout the process, and to oversee the home study process for these individuals, including the creation and maintenance of their family file.
- Establish and maintain relationships with the church community, other community-based organizations, and families to promote and build awareness about the need for foster families.
- To be a viable team member by investing in all activities and functions of the agency’s services.
- To participate in conferences and other training opportunities when requested by the Manager of Recruitment.
- To understand and practice the use of appropriate confidentiality.
- To be a positive factor in public relations by representing the agency well in contact with visitors and people from the community.
- To maintain an understanding of the foster care/child welfare system.
- To understand and meet compliance standards which govern the approval of foster homes as set forth by RCCL, DHS, and COA regulations.
- Provide orientation and facilitate pre-service training for prospective foster parents.
- Assess appropriateness of applicant to assure they meet minimum licensing standards, using IMPACT training and corresponding assessments.
- To manage a caseload of potential applicants.
- To review and ensure the quality and compliance of documentation required for home approval.
- To visit potential applicants in home environment to assess the appropriateness of the home and the capacity of the family.
- To complete foster care home studies, including home interviews with families and inspection of homes as needed
- To participate in or facilitate other activities as deemed necessary by the Manager of Recruitment.
- Have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, preferably in a human service or behavioral science field.
- Have a minimum of two years of experience of working in child welfare, and in a role, that includes recruiting, training, or public speaking and presentations.
- IMPACT trained, preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to assess foster family applicants by working autonomously to assess family and complete approval process.
- Sound decision making skills and judgment
- Proficient using Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office applications
- Own, drive, and maintain an automobile in good working condition, receiving a reimbursement for agency business mileage.
- Understand that this job will require some evening and weekend hours of employment, and some after-hour on call responsibilities.
- Agree to support the agency’s mission statement, organizational values and beliefs, and its quality assurance plan.
Working Environment: This position is located at UMCH worksite based in assigned office. Work is conducted in an office setting and across the campus. Fast-paced, working with vulnerable clients. The ability to maintain a flexible work schedule which will include evenings and weekends is required. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds. Usually sits in front of a computer 80% of the time.