- Experience Level
The Peninsula College Fund makes college graduation a reality for low-income, first-generation college students. Our comprehensive program includes four-year college scholarships, one-to-one adult mentors, college and career success training, and summer internship support.
Our mission is to empower low-income, first generation college students to graduate and obtain a job that aligns with their career goals.
WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE DO
Starting as a grassroots effort to support three scholars in 2005, PCF has steadily grown and today has served a total of 254 students and awarded over $1.5 million in scholarships. PCF operated as a completely volunteer-run agency until late 2010, and currently employs a small staff.
We support our scholars through four key programs:
• Scholarships: Each student receives a scholarship of $3,000/year for each of the four years enrolled in a four-year college/university.
• One-to-One Mentoring: We carefully match each scholar with one caring adult who provides support, counsel, networking, and positive role modeling to help each student complete college. We provide our mentors with on-going training and continuously evaluate and improve our mentoring program.
• College and Career Success Events: We provide all students with targeted, in-depth training events to give them the tools for college completion and career readiness.
• Summer Internships: We provide internship application support for our scholars, ideally for summer internship placements.
The Peninsula College Fund (PCF) is seeking an enthusiastic self-starter, interested in a career in fundraising, to fill the role of Development Associate.
This position is designed to support our growing organization and help build financial support for our programs. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Associate will provide fundraising support to PCF in all functional areas including grantwriting, individual giving, donor relations, direct mail, marketing, and special events. This position offers hands-on experience, significant growth potential (we would be thrilled to have this position evolve into a Development Director role), and a supportive learning environment. The Development Associate will join 3 program coordinators, 2 career services staff, and a part-time accountant.
POSITION PURPOSE & OBJECTIVES
Help in developing, maintaining, and strengthening PCF’s sources of revenue. The Development Associate will support the Executive Director with fundraising activities in all functional areas including grantwriting, individual giving, donor relations, direct mail, special events, and marketing.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Support the Executive Director in cultivating individual donors;
• Help draft and update templates for donor acknowledgment and correspondence;
• Help prepare and coordinate donor mailings including newsletters, annual report, special event mailings;
• Assist in managing individual donor pipeline.
• Develop working knowledge of development database, LiveImpact;
• Track donor interactions through database;
• Understand and execute process for gift entry and acknowledgment;
• Create and run reports for giving history, mailings, and more;
• Create and report on donor and foundation pipelines.
Grantwriting and Research
• Support the Executive Director in writing compelling grant requests and proposals for private foundations;
• Support the Executive Director in preparing timely and accurate reports for foundations;
• Support the Executive Director by performing online research of potential new funders;
• Attend funder meetings, as needed;
• Collaborate with program staff and accountant for grantwriting and reporting;
• Assist in managing grant deadline calendar and pipeline.
• Support the organization by helping to plan and execute fundraising and donor cultivation events;
• Assist with corporate sponsorship and individual underwriting for events—including helping to develop materials, solicitation, benefits, and acknowledgment;
• Support the organization by helping to manage all event logistics, including vendor research and selection, venue set up, guest lists and registration, ticket sales speaker outreach, creation of collateral and signage, guest services, onsite operations, and follow-up;
• Help to prepare invitations, programs, briefing memos, and other materials for events;
• Support the Executive Director by overseeing post-event follow up including thank you notes and post-event evaluation. Ensure all information in the database is accurate according to standards set by the organization. Marketing
• Assist with production of printed/electronic collateral;
• Provide written content for marketing including blog posts and social media.
The Development Associate must be adaptive and entrepreneurial, with a problem-solving and positive approach to their work. Given the small size of our staff, the ability to plan and multitask is critical. We have limited resources, so creativity, resilience, willingness to work hard, and the ability to do more with less are key.
Specific qualifications include:
• Passion for educational opportunity and equity
• Desire to empower others through service Required Qualifications
• Deep appreciation of PCF’s mission and values
• Energetic and innovative
• Collaborative team player
• Ability to work in a resource-constrained environment
• Bachelor’s degree and one to two years of administrative, fundraising, or communications experience
• Proactive and independent problem-solver
• Experience using databases or ability to learn quickly how to use databases effectively
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong project management skills
• Flexibility and willingness to take on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
• Be well-organized, able to prioritize deadlines, attend to details, and evaluate results
• Good follow-through
• Deep understanding of Microsoft suite
• Commitment to nonprofit sector
• Positive attitude and sense of humor
• Comfort with public speaking
• Experience in event production and execution
• Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a multicultural context, and
experience working with low-income communities and communities of color
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & BENEFITS
● We have a hands-on, collaborative, and entrepreneurial work environment.
● We believe in an inclusive work environment that fosters individual growth and team empowerment.
• While we take our work very seriously, we also like to have fun and enjoy each other’s company. We have a sunshine committee that plans fun events (that usually involve food!) for staff.
This position will be based out of our Milpitas office.
Sobrato Center for Nonprofits – Milpitas
526 Valley Way
Milpitas, CA 95035
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Peninsula College Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Salary & Compensation
• Salary commensurate with experience.
• We offer a generous benefits package:
o Leave: 10 days of PTO,11 paid holidays, 8 paid sick days and a flexible work schedule when needed.
o Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits: We currently pay 100% of all premiums for eligible employees.
o Retirement Plan: In January 2019, a 403(b) plan will be available for eligible employees.
• This is a full-time, 40 hrs. /week non-exempt position. Depending on the candidate, a part-time position may be considered.
OUR HIRING PROCESS
We will review resumes on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
• We will begin scheduling phone interviews on December 10, 2018.
• We will conduct short phone screening interviews in December and in-person interviews through the month of January. Candidates will be asked to complete a performance assessment.
• Finalists will be invited to a second-round of in-person interviews, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
• We would like to have the Development Associate start in January/February 2019.
• Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE – Your Last Name” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
• Your belief in PCF’s mission
• Why you believe you are qualified for this position
• In what areas in the “Essential Job Functions” section might you need some support?
• Salary requirements
• Where you learned of this opportunity
• No phone calls, please.
• Application deadline open until filled.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Youth Development $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Milpitas
- Development / Fundraising Youth Development $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Milpitas
- Event Planning Youth Development $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Milpitas
- Marketing / Communications Youth Development $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Milpitas