Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Experience Level
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Emerge America’s mission is to increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. Our vision: To change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand our impact by replicating our success in new states.
Emerge America is seeking a person with high energy, ability to multi-task, great project management skills, and incredible interpersonal skills to be the inaugural CFO, helping guide the organization through an exciting period of growth.
Reporting directly to the President & Founder, all of the duties described below will contribute to our mission in an essential way.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.
- Strategy Lead budgeting, including development of multi-year budgets for strategic planning, annual operating budgets, quarterly reforecasts, and project budgets.
- Facilitate financial modeling to evaluate different options for expanding operations to all 50 states.
- Set policies and procedures in collaboration with other senior staff to align incentives with organizational goals.
- Operational Accounting Bring accounting in-house (currently outsourced). Design and implement systems to maintain internal controls, process transactions efficiently, ensure legal compliance, and provide timely information.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and budget vs. actual reports for management, state affiliates, and board.
- Oversee transactional accounting.
- Compliance & Risk Management Work with legal counsel and staff comply with federal and state laws and regulations, as well as responding to inquiries from government agencies.
- Oversee preparation of IRS Form 8872 quarterly.
- Coordinate annual reviews or audits and preparation of IRS Form 990 by independent CPA.
- Education & Communication Build financial management competency among staff, state executive directors, and volunteer boards.Share information about financial health, plans, and performance with key stakeholders to support transparency, accountability, and decision making.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
We are seeking candidates with deep financial and management accounting experience, ideally in both nonprofit and political settings, along with passion about our mission. Specific qualifications are:
- Self-starter with an ability to develop a vision and inspire others to follow you
- Strong knowledge of accounting standards, business practices, economics, and technology.
- Skill at planning and analysis, including leading budgeting, providing business insights, and maximizing the use of organizational resources.
- Detail and systems orientation to manage complex projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication, including the ability to present complex financial information to stakeholders of varying skill.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and ability to be nimble while moving toward long-term goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including competency working cross culturally and in diverse teams to create equitable and inclusive environments.
- Experience developing others and managing a high-performing team to set and achieve ambitious, achievable goals.
JOB SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
This is a full-time position in our San Francisco office. Emerge America has offices in downtown San Francisco and on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. Both are accessible by public transportation.
Salary and Benefits
Budgeted base salary of $130,000 with generous benefits.
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Emerge America Chief Financial Officer”. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in working for Emerge’s mission.