Executive Assistant to Vice President of Public Affairs
- Experience Level
The California Wellness Foundation is seeking an experienced, collaborative administrative professional to serve as Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Public Affairs. The Executive Assistant will serve as a key member of Cal Wellness’ Public Affairs Department, which integrates the Foundation’s communications, community relations, and public policy functions. The Executive Assistant reports directly to the Vice President of Public Affairs and coordinates a broad range of administrative activities to ensure the efficient and professional operation of the department.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will have superb organizational and interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to adapt and respond thoughtfully to emerging needs and work quickly and effectively in a dynamic work environment. He or she will bring the knowledge and experience necessary to effectively manage an executive’s calendar, travel and communications with minimal oversight, as well as taking on additional project work. The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic and reliable team player with the ability to interact with all levels of staff, external consultants, vendors and professional networks. He or she will possess a high level of flexibility, strong written and oral communications skills, and exquisite attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be driven to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation, and must have an interest in philanthropy and the Foundation’s mission and operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support to the vice president of public affairs and the team, including organizing the efficient flow of work and materials; tracking department expenses in relation to the budget; preparing expense reports and check requests; and processing consultant contracts.
- Monitors internal and external communications for the vice president of public affairs.
- Drafts and edits reports, memos, emails and other communications for the vice president of public affairs.
- Maintains a calendar and makes travel arrangements for the vice president of public affairs and maintains calendars for key department activities.
- Handles expense reports and light administrative work for two other directors on the public affairs team.
- Helps strategize and coordinate logistics for full staff and departmental meetings and retreats; takes and writes up meeting minutes.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other executive assistants across the foundation to help ensure the activities and interests of the vice president and the public affairs team are aligned with other departments.
- Handles special projects and other duties as assigned.
A few times per year the executive assistant will travel to our Los Angeles headquarters for meetings. Periodic travel to site visits, conferences and events may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience and skill set.
- At least three years’ experience in an administrative position in a professional organization.
- Exposure to the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sector and experience working in a communications and/or public relations department or organization preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong logic, reading, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy and protocol.
- Ability to plan ahead and work within deadlines in a structured environment.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and follow through to effectively manage work flow.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Ability to use discretion in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive materials and issues.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, customer relations management programs, and web research.
The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. One of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with nearly $1 billion in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees, public policy grantmaking and focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. The Foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes three interrelated portfolios: Bridging the Gaps in Access and Quality Care, Promoting Healthy and Safe Neighborhoods and Expanding Education and Employment Pathways. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion.
As the Foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking work to advance its mission, including implementation of technology systems, development of its public affairs capacity and establishing mission- and program-related investment portfolios.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff and Board and continues to enhance its deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, both internally and externally. The Foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
For this position, the selected candidates starting salary may range from $63,000 to $75,000 ($30.28/hr - $36.08/hr), commensurate with skills and experience. Highlights from our benefit package include: a variety of health plans, a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid time off, professional development and educational opportunities, matching gifts, and the opportunity to work at a mission and values driven organization.
Please upload your resume and letter of interest by January 15, 2019.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.