Chief Advancement Officer
- Experience Level
Position Title: Chief Advancement Officer
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Credentials: Bachelor’s degree, with preference for candidate with master’s degree in nonprofit administration, business administration, international affairs, or equivalent; at least 5 years fundraising experience
The Chief Advancement Officer serves as a key executive team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions, especially affecting the external affairs of the organization. In partnership with the CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development, marketing and outreach, and community engagement. This position helps to maintain and forge new relationships to build the organization’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. Within the Executive Team, this position has primary responsibility for establishing the brand foundation, marketing capacity, and infrastructure needed to build the organization’s visibility, engage the media, and secure resources (e.g. individual major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support). The CAO will expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members and the board of directors on these initiatives. The CAO also will oversee community engagement and public outreach initiatives and will lead the organization’s participation in key public awareness raising and policy education efforts, and local partner coalition activities. Finally, the CAO will be responsible for helping the CEO to ensure that the organization has a well-defined strategic plan and a rigorous process for measuring impact against plan objectives and donor obligations.
Resource Development, Brand, and Marketing
- Develop and implement a brand and marketing that raises the organization’s profile and educates the public about critical refugee issues
- Work closely with the CEO, board members and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy including varied sources of funding, including major gifts, individual giving, corporate and foundation funding, government grants, events, earned income, and others
- Oversee development and execution of all major fundraising proposals and oversight of all fundraising activities of the organization; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Recruit and manage the highest performing development, marketing, public education, and outreach personnel that enables a distinctive brand and a strong position to cultivate and to deepen funder and other key stakeholder relationships for the organization
- Ensure fundraising department is professional in its processes including management of donor information and fulfillment of donor reporting and contractual obligations; monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
Community Engagement and Public Education
- Lead the public education and outreach activities of the organization to help advance the education of the public about refugee issues and to drive policies and support for the organization’s mission
- Lead partnership development activities for the organization, working closely with the CEO to forge impactful collaborations with public, private, and nonprofit organizations
Strategic Planning and Impact Measurement
- Help the CEO lead the strategic planning activities of the organization including the development of a long-term funding plan in support of plan success and measures of plan progress
- Provide leadership in developing an impact evaluation plan and database system in close collaboration with the CEO and program team to ensure the organization effectively measures outcomes, impact, and fulfillment of donor obligations
Skills and Competencies
- 10-plus years of professional experience in nonprofit organizations; demonstrated success in development functions, including managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources
- Demonstrated track record cultivating and expanding donor relationships
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and supporters and to build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills and excellent team player
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives; ability to manage and motivate team to produce timely and accurate proposals, reports, and marketing/outreach materials
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the organization
- High energy and passion for the organization’s mission
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Comfort working with and leading culturally diverse teams
This is a full-time, salaried position. Employer contributes to medical, dental and vision insurance. Employer pays life and disability insurance. Fourteen (14) paid holidays and a generous paid time off policy. Employee has the option to contribute to 401(k).
To apply for this position, email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Chief Advancement Officer in the subject line. No phone calls please.
New American Pathways is an Equal Opportunity Employer.