Southern California Field Representative
- Position Type
- Full Time
CFA is seeking a field representative, preferably experienced in the public sector. CFA’s field representatives work with our chapter leadership on campuses to protect faculty rights, identify and engage new leaders, and develop stronger chapters through issue-based and member recruitment and organizing.
Applicant must be a self-motivated, deadline-oriented individual with the ability to work with people in academia.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develops and implements organizing strategies and campaign plans;
- Recruits and retains members;
- Identifies, recruits and develops faculty to participate in CFA activities;
- Develops and implements organizing plans for turnout at chapter and statewide events;
- Organizes and facilitates meetings;
- Participates and/ or assists with statewide organizing campaigns, events, and activities;
- Assists with membership recruitment, faculty organizing and political campaigns;
- Anti-Racism/Social Justice Transformation, including intentionally working to infuse anti-racist and social justice values into the everyday work of CFA;
- Files grievances and represents members in grievance meetings, faculty rights meetings and meet and confers;
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with CFA officers, members, interns and staff.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement, the university and beyond;
- Skill and experience organizing campaigns and developing member leaders;
- Skill and experience in strategic thinking, organizational development, campaign development and long term planning;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines and numerical goals;
- Knowledge of organizing practices;
- Excellent verbal and analytical skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff;
- Ability to travel frequently (weekly basis) and work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated skill, experience and acumen in developing others;
- Demonstrated ability to infuse anti-racism and social justice work into the everyday work of CFA;
- Demonstrated experience organizing and/or working in strategic campaigns, including creating and implementing organizing and/or strategic plans;
- Familiarity working with union officers and member-based committees;
- Excellent written, oral communication and public speaking skills;
- Previous union organizing experience;
- Experience in higher education a plus;
- Representation experience a plus;
- The successful applicant must be able to traverse college campuses.
- Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Salary/Benefits/Other requirements: CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision, pension and generous paid leave. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply send cover letter and resume with references and a writing sample to:
Women, People of Color/Native People, members of the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.