Membership Associate (Program Associate level; Environmental nonprofit)
- Experience Level
Founded in 1987 and located in San Francisco’s Presidio, the Biodiversity Funders Group is a professional association of grantmakers with a shared vision for a sustainable, just and healthy future for all life on Earth, advanced by a vibrant and effective philanthropic sector.
BFG supports member-driven programs and special initiatives that focus on climate change and energy, marine ecosystems, land and freshwater conservation, conservation science, the Gulf of California and Mexico, the Andean-Amazon Basin, and international biodiversity issues. With an annual budget of $1.8M and a staff of eight, BFG hosts convenings, briefings, and other educational offerings such as webinars throughout the year. https://biodiversityfunders.org/
The Membership Associate will play a critical role as a facilitator, connector, and organizer for BFG’s members and programs, to strengthen the field of conservation and environmental philanthropy. The Associate works closely with senior staff to carry out BFG’s core program activities, including national meetings; webinars and other learning opportunities; member communications; and surveys, reports, and other resources. This position includes opportunities for professional development and growth; the Membership Associate will be on track to take on more responsibility over time, shadowing the Deputy Director’s work with the Land and Freshwater and Marine Conservation programs, and working with the Executive Director to make sure that BFG’s suite of activities is responsive to the needs of the membership. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Interact with BFG members, program steering committees, and philanthropic partners associated with the organization
- Work with the Executive Director and the Annual Meeting Planning Committee on BFG’s Annual Membership Meeting
- Support the Land and Freshwater and the Marine Conservation meetings, webinars, and other activities
- Publicize meetings and other events via the website and email distribution; coordinate publicity with BFG staff and sister organizations
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with members and other program participants to nurture their connection to the organization
- Respond in a timely and collegial manner to requests for information and assistance from members and program participants
- Schedule conference calls and webinars for core programs, and facilitate them when needed
- Create, write, and edit external and internal materials
- Strong project management skills, with an ability to anticipate, prioritize, and manage multiple projects at one time
- Proficiency with MicroSoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; familiarity with Google Docs, Sheets, and similar applications (familiarity with desktop publishing or content management a plus); ability to learn and work with new software programs
- Some experience working with databases (familiarity with Salesforce a plus)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (expertise in editing and/or proofreading a plus)
- At least three years’ experience conducting outreach and communication with clients, members and/or constituents in a nonprofit setting (experience working for networks, associations, or coalitions a plus)
- Broad understanding of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors
- Familiarity with environmental issues
- Exceptional time-management skills, with proven ability to work with different staff leaders and in different teams with poise and grace
- Ability to travel as many as 4-5 times a year, for a few days at a time
- Strong background in environmental, conservation, and/or climate change and energy issues
- Administrative or program experience in grantmaking foundations
- Experience working in customer service, donor relations, and/or with a membership organization
- Experience in supporting or managing the logistics of meetings, conferences or other large (60-150 people) multi-day events
- Required to sit for long periods of time.
- Extensive use of computer, keyboard and mouse
- Bend to file or retrieve documents
- Occasional light physical effort required
- Ability to lift and carry up to approximately 30 pounds
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a substantive cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference Membership Associate in the subject line.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
No phone inquiries please.
The Biodiversity Funders Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, race or disability. BFG’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is based upon our belief that the best organizations are composed of individuals who bring a variety of skills, perspectives, backgrounds, and resources to address complex and strategic challenges.