Senior Manager of Communications
- Position Type
- Full Time
From 1980 when we made our first two grants of $500 each to 2018, when our total annual grantmaking exceeded $2.5 million, Horizons Foundation has fueled and helped to shape the history of the LGBTQ community in the Bay Area and beyond. Over 38 years, we have provided early and consistent support to the most marginalized and underserved sectors of our community including LGBTQ communities of color and youth, as well as the elderly, transgender people, and women. All the while, the Foundation has remained true to its core commitment: to be a community philanthropic institution that is of, by, and for the LGBTQ community, both today and tomorrow, and for future generations.
This is a pivotal moment for Horizons Foundation. We have expanded our annual grantmaking significantly and become the home to the national Give OUT Day, and have grown our Donor-Advised Funds program to more than 125 funds totaling more than $14.5 million in assets under management. On top of that, we recently exceeded our most ambitious goal ever by raising over $3.75 million for our Now and Forever Campaign. This success enables us to make key strategic investments in infrastructure and staffing to help ensure that by 2020 we will reach another goal – to secure at least $100 million in future legacy commitments that will safeguard the strength and health of the LGBTQ community for generations to come.
Now the challenging and truly exciting work really begins – as we build the team that will help us make this audacious vision for our community’s future come true. Our role at the hub of LGBTQ giving and community engagement in the Bay Area and as a respected thought leader on LGBTQ philanthropy nationally means that Horizons has a unique voice to share. To amplify that voice, we are excited to bring on a skilled leader for a new position as our Senior Manager of Communications (Senior Manager).
Bringing experience as a communications strategist, writer and project manager, the Senior Manager will plan for, and spearhead, all our communications and marketing to relevant internal and external audiences. The position combines strategy-setting with a hands-on role in implementation. This includes supervising all online, print, website, and social media communications; creating, curating and promoting powerful materials that inform, engage, and influence key audiences; conceiving and planning up to four community-focused events on a wide variety of topics of importance to the community; and managing proactive and responsive media and press communications.
The Senior Manager will work in close partnership with the VP of Grants and Programs, the foundation’s President and the VP of Development and Gift Planning, and will oversee relevant consultants and vendors. The Manager will ensure that all communications efforts -- whether in service of fundraising, our programs, or our perspective on philanthropy and the LGBT movement -- are working together in harmony. This new position offers the opportunity to lead a communications program that will grow as the Foundation grows, and to play a key role in ensuring the long-term sustainability of a nationally-respected, well-established organization with a powerful story to tell – both of its own impact and that of the hundreds of organizations it supports each year.
Key Areas of Focus
The Senior Manager of Communications will focus particularly on three areas:
Lead the co-creation, management and implementation of a communications strategy and plan that bring a consistent, compelling voice to our communications and instill innovative approaches and ideas to expand our reach to new audiences.
- Craft and implement a dynamic communications strategy that inspires increased engagement by our current stakeholders and reaches out to potential donors and other audiences across the Bay Area;
- Coordinate with our program and development teams, lead the co-creation of our annual plan, goals, timeline, editorial calendar and key messages;
- Manage the implementation of the communications plan, engaging and training all staff and board and volunteers as effective communicators for the organization;
- Identify and incorporate new marketing and communications opportunities and tactics to widen our circle of support;
- Analyze and evaluate our communications tactics including cost tracking, website usage analysis, and audience segmentation and analytics to ensure we are learning and adapting constantly; and
- Build dynamic partnership and in-kind sponsorship opportunities with the media and other community partners.
Lead the creation, curation and promotion of communications content that effectively promotes Horizons to its stakeholders – LGBT community, donors, grantees, corporate and foundation partners.
- Create and curate a range of content including the monthly Horizons’ Connect e-newsletter, website updates, annual report, planned giving materials, brochures, advertising, programs, event videos, talking points, grantee profiles, appeal letters, donor advised fund materials, and new content for grant proposals;
- Ensure that systems are maintained to store our communications media, videos, photographs and other resources; and
- Manage all communications production, including both drafting and writing materials, and coordinating writing by other staff and managing production vendors (design, printers, mail house, other).
Manage our communications channels to increase Horizons’ visibility locally and nationally
- Ensure that we have a consistent accurate online presence on key sites, and that our website, social media, print and e-communications are sources of timely, consistent, regularly-updated information that inspires engagement and conveys the full breadth of our programs, perspectives and values;
- Take a proactive approach to outreach to mainstream, issue-based and LGBT media outlets to ensure that they see Horizons Foundation as a go-to resource for perspectives and insights on LGBT and progressive philanthropic issues; and
- Working with a PR consultant when needed to reach out to relevant editors, bloggers and journalists to pitch story ideas and seek opportunities to showcase the work of our grantees, profile our partners, funders and supporters, and advocate for LGBT philanthropy locally and nationally.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about Horizons Foundation’s mission with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and familiarity with the social and legal issues impacting the LGBT community;
- An experienced communications professional: with at least 5 years of progressively senior experience in communications and marketing in a nonprofit organization; or other closely relevant experience in public relations, media and communications;
- A skilled story-teller with a portfolio that shows superb communication and writing skills, and the ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences;
- A strategic thinker fully capable of conceiving, developing, and implementing a comprehensive organization-wide communications and marketing plan.
- A strong implementer with the proven project management skills to lead the process from strategy to plans to implementation, evaluation and learning;
- An innovator with knowledge of trends, practices, and strategies in online and social media, a strong design sense, and familiarity with graphic design and brand maintenance;
- A technology enthusiast: skilled and experienced at using WordPress and MailChimp (or a similar email solution), and with working knowledge of Adobe Creative key apps;
- A media savvy communicator with knowledge of the operation of print, broadcast, and online news media and, ideally, experience and connections with local and LGBT media;
- A stickler for details with excellent follow-through and superb editing and proofreading skills.
- A team builder and inspiring manager able to work effectively in a diverse workplace; motivate and train volunteers; nurture staff growth, and promote high performance and accountability; and
- Resourceful and innovative: bringing an optimistic, can-do, hands-on approach to achieving the most possible with the resources available and responding flexibly as opportunities and events arise.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The physical demands of this position are light with the expectation that the staff person can exert up to 20lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Light work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree. The position requires frequent computer use at a workstation. The Senior Manager of Communications must be able to travel by car and occasionally by air to meetings at locations across the state and nationally. Horizons Foundation will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with ADA of 1990. This job description and its physical requirements will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Compensation and hours
This is a full time salaried position. Your schedule may vary based on need and could extend at times into the early evening, with some occasional weekend hours. Competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes full health, vision and dental coverage, vacation, sick leave, a 403(b) plan retirement plan and the pride of working at a critical community institution.
Horizons Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that supports and lives diversity in our staffing and values. We comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and strongly encourage applications from people who identify as transgender, people of color, and people with disabilities.
Applications will be accepted through December 17, 2018 or until the ideal candidate is identified. Early submissions are encouraged and will be reviewed as they are submitted. No phone calls, please.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest, qualifications, and salary requirements to the following email address: info @ horizonsfoundation.org.