Research Assistant (STEM)
- Experience Level
Position Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: Research Associate
Program: Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM)
Salary: Level E: Competitive Salary (DOE)
Location: Redwood City, CA
Time Base: 100%
Position No: 5634
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Arizona and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
Within WestEd, the Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM) program offers a diverse portfolio of projects that promote quality science, mathematics, engineering, computer science, and technology education for all students. The STEM program advances research on a range of issues including educational technology, the use of simulations and other technologies to support student learning, and teacher preparation. The STEM portfolio includes projects that develop curriculum and assessments, design and offer professional development, consult for educational technology companies, and conduct and report on research on student and teacher learning.
The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Program at WestEd is seeking a Research Assistant to work on a range of educational research projects in the subject area of mathematics, science, engineering, literacy and educational technology. In particular, this position will support research and development efforts within the program focused on the impact of science and literacy educational interventions. The position will support future projects as they are funded.
The Research Assistant will work alongside Research Associates write and edit internal project documentation, prepare documents for professional publications and presentations, and support field and lab-based research.
The position will be located in our Redwood City, CA Office.
- Contribute to writing research reports, including writing, formatting, and copy-editing.
- Participate in various data collection efforts (e.g., child assessments, focus groups, site visits, interviews, etc).
- Assist with instrument development (e.g., surveys, observation tools, and rubrics, etc).
- Use databases to store and retrieve information and data.
- Conduct data cleaning, data analysis, and summarize results.
- Prepare and produce Microsoft Word documents, charts, tables, graphs, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Carry out duties in educational settings, showing respect for and understanding of the roles of teachers and administrators.
- Provide project support including participant recruitment, communication with participants, project travel logistics, and preparation and tracking of study materials.
- Perform library and Internet research to provide background information for projects and proposals that deal with various educational topics. Develop written summaries based on this research.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, science, social science or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including copy-editing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and Powerpoint), including use of advanced features such as styles, formulas, and pivot tables.
- Experience with SPSS, Stata, or R preferred.
- Experience with online survey development preferred.
- Online research skills.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills, including the ability to prioritize work on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated patience, persistence, and ability to work as a team member.
- High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently, when necessary.
- Experience in school settings. Experience working with and assessing young children a plus. Experience with K-3 science and/or literacy preferred.
- Proficiency in Spanish reading and writing a plus.
*Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
We invite you to apply today.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3170. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email email@example.com.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.
- All health benefits effective first of the month following date of hire
- 15% contribution toward retirement effective day one of employment
- 15 vacation days, which will increase to 20 days per year beginning the 4th year of employment
- 12 holidays
- 12 days sick leave per year