Social Work Supevisor
- Experience Level
Meals on Wheels is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Social Work Supervisor. The Social Work Supervisor, under direction of the Director of Social Work will plan, assign, review, and evaluate the work of a unit of Social Workers and other staff. The Social Work Supervisor will provide direction to staff on eligibility and casework concepts, methods and procedures, provision of services, and agency and departmental policies and procedures.
The position will be located at 1375 Fairfax but will travel throughout San Francisco City and County to perform duties of the position; will work a Monday through Friday schedule.
The position is in the Social Work department of Meals on Wheels which provides nutrition and meal services for persons who are homebound and cannot safely purchase and prepare their own meals. The clients are aged and/or disabled. Social Workers make home visits to determine eligibility for the program and to conduct an assessment to determine if the client can benefit from other health and social services that the agency may provide or connect the client to.
The Social Work Supervisor will be responsible for:
- Taking direction from and working with the Director of Social Work to manage all aspects of the Social Work Department; which includes
- Assisting in the hiring and training of social work staff; acting as a resource for them and fostering staff competency. Making recommendations on personnel actions and cultivating a work environment that attracts and maintains a diverse and highly motivated staff.
- Assisting in development of social work department policies and procedures; updating and carrying out all agency and client policies.
- Ensuring that staff members under direct supervision follow all MOWSF policies and procedures.
- Providing support and supervision to a team of social workers, assessment specialists, and/or office staff includes:
- Accompanying and evaluating social worker staff on home visits, reviewing case work and electronic client records, providing technical guidance, and oversight of staff data collection, timeliness of data entry and staff reports
- Assigning, monitoring, and reviewing staff workloads, case management caseloads. Ensuring integrity of client eligibility, care plans, and coordination of services
- Understanding and supporting process improvements in the department fostering and maintaining a positive approach to change
- Troubleshooting issues with Salesforce electronic client file system and CARS CAGetCare, the official City and County of San Francisco client management database
- Provides hands-on support with escalated or difficult and complex client related issues as they arise
- Preparing for and facilitating monthly meeting
- Reviewing client cases and communicating with clients/others as needed
- Collaborating with the department leadership and IT personnel to develop and implement quality assurance in our programs to ensure proper adherence to regulations, best practices, and established policies and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with government regulations.
- Collaborating with the internal and external partners; Representing MOWSF at community aging and social service network meetings as assigned; participating in special projects as needed.
- Develop and conduct social work presentations and in-services as needed.
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate records, preparing reports and other correspondence, and entering client data into MOWSF and DAAS databases as required
- Conducting initial and annual assessments throughout the fiscal year as needed to meet monthly productivity goals.
- Assisting with ongoing administrative tasks and performing other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate will be:
- An effective supervisor with strong leadership skills to direct the work of and motivate a team of social workers and other staff
- Highly organized and able to plan and implement nutrition and social service programs
- Knowledgeable of principles of case management, including the integration of social and health care issues and services to enhance client function and stability
- Able to focus on the details of daily program activities, while maintaining a broad perspective of the agency's philosophy, standards, and requirements as a whole
- An effective analyzer and problem solver, able to exercise sound judgment in decision-making
- A skilled communicator experienced in preparing and presenting oral and written reports
- Able to maintain effective, cooperative, and understanding work relationships with staff, clients from a variety of diverse backgrounds, representatives of other departments and agencies, and others contacted during the course of work
QualificationsEducation and Experience: A Bachelor degree in Social Work, Gerontology, Sociology, or a related social service or professional fields or equivalent to 4 years of relevant experience in a managerial role at an organization that works with seniors is required; A Master’s degree in Social Work, Gerontology, Sociology, may be substituted for 2 years of relevant managerial experience within an organization primarily serving seniors.
Knowledge of: Principles, methods and techniques of social work; principles of social work and supervision; scope and nature of current problems in the field of social work; laws, rules, regulations, and procedures governing the operation of social service and/or community based organizations and a variety of service programs; principles of individual and group behavior and their application; community services and resources; and functions of community based organizations.
Skill/Ability to: Plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of social workers, assessment specialists and/or office staff; provide direction in the development and implementation of services for clients; effectively interpret and develop departmental/programmatic policies, rules and regulations; prepare and present clear and concise oral and written reports; and maintain effective, cooperative and understanding work relationships with clients from a variety of diverse backgrounds, representatives of other units and agencies, and others contacted during the course of work.
On an as needed basis be able to: Attend offsite meetings at various locations including clients homes in San Francisco, which requires the ability to lift/push/carry up to 10 pounds unassisted, go up/down stairs, possess a valid California Driver’s license, provide proof of insurance, easy access to a car, be able to deliver meals in emergency basis, as well as working at various MOWSF events including events such as Thanksgiving Day
Strongly preferred additional knowledge of: Bilingual skills (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog or Russian) strongly preferred
SALARY / HOURS / BENEFITS:The position is salaried and based on a 40 hour work week. Paid vacation and sick time are allowed and stated in the Employee Handbook. Health and dental insurance are paid by funding agency. Other optional fringe benefits in accordance with MOWSF Employee Handbook.
Meals on Wheels is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.