- Experience Level
Reports To: Business Operations Manager (BOM)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Bookkeeper has the overall responsibility for those tasks which pertain to the financial operations of the Center for Spiritual Living San Jose. The Bookkeeper works closely with each department, the Board of Trustees and the congregation at large to ensure that the financial transactions and records are current, accurate and in accordance with non-profit accounting.
The Bookkeeper reports directly to the Operations Manager. This is a ¾ time, hourly position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude but are not limited to the following:
Bookkeeping and Taxes:
- Count (or cause to have counted via volunteers), then bank, all deposits from Sunday collections on a weekly basis.
- Track income sources daily and bank other income weekly, detailing sources.
- Process accounts payable transactions.
- Track expenses, ensuring proper back-up documentation.
- Prepare and mail/distribute checks for all expenses.
- Reconcile third party merchant accounts with bank reports for multiple income streams.
- Record bimonthly payroll transactions and distribute payroll checks.
- Track Bookstore sales and file/pay quarterly sales tax.
- Collect W9 forms from contractors (i.e., musicians and individuals receiving funds from the Center).
- Prepare and distribute year-end 1099 forms.
- Assist with financial review/audit every two years.
- Interface with key volunteers regarding best financial practices for fundraisers.
- Track and report all donations by pledge year in donor database.
- Provide monthly reports for thank you letters to high value donors.
- Notify Senior Minister of high value donations.
- Provide Board members with new contributor information weekly.
- Provide year-end or other donor tax statements to those who request them.
- Assist in annual pledge campaign.
- Assist in the database management; merge duplicate records, update individual and household information.
- Record in-kind donations.
- Provide donor related reports from database and QuickBooks to Spiritual Director and Board Trustees as requested.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports at Finance Team meeting including: balance sheet, income statement, comparison of actual to budget, etc.
- Prepare monthly departmental reports.
- Provide other reports as requested by Senior Staff and/or Board.
Perform Administrative Duties
- Distribute mail.
- Answer incoming calls and emails as needed.
- Audit and reconcile bookstore inventory annually.
- Track and record Sunday services attendance.
- Assist in filing corporate filings, tax exemptions, and maintaining Bookstore business license.
Other duties as needed or required.
Qualifications & Skills:
- AA degree or equivalent related experience with three to five years of applicable industry experience.
- Well-organized and self-directed with knowledge of product sales and nonprofit accounting, including: fund development, donors, and legal nonprofit reporting.
- Requires the use of general accounting principles and techniques of office practices, including QuickBooks, Word, Excel, Email, Internet, Cloud-based software, database input and application skills.
- Excellent customer service/people skills.
- Experience working creatively with limited resources to achieve maximum impact.
- Deals with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to prioritize among a diverse variety of activities and projects.
- Sensitivity to donor confidentiality and the general confidential nature of leadership in a spiritual center.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word, email and Internet software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid California driver license and CA auto insurance as required by law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Requires the ability to sit up to 3-6 hours per day with intermittent occasional walking and standing.
· Occasionally may be required to lift items up to 10 pounds to a height of up to 6 feet; up to 25 pounds to a height of 4 feet.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Typical office work environment with normal noise levels.
- The work environment supports spiritual practice and promotes the embodiment of the spiritual principles and values of the Center for Spiritual Living San Jose.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits dependent on hire status:
a) minister with letter-of-call, or b) lay person as an hourly employee.