Manager, Events & Volunteers
- Degree Level
Manager, Events & Volunteers
EARLY EDUCATION AND FAMILY CENTERS
OFFICIAL TITLE: Manager, Events & Volunteers
SUPERVISOR: Director, Marketing & Communications
SALARY RANGE: In accordance with Sheltering Arms Salary Schedules
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full Time, Full Year
The Manager of Events & Volunteers participates in the planning and execution of Sheltering Arms events and manages the volunteer program. This includes coordination of the annual signature gala, a week-long read-a-thon volunteer event, thought leadership panel discussion forums, and in-kind collection and distribution events, such as large-scale diaper drives across 15 center locations.
- In partnership with the Director, Marketing & Communications, plan and execute multiple events and volunteer programs annually.
- Create an exceptional volunteer experience.
- Create and manage the production timeline for each event and manage the vendor relationships and staff participants to produce exceptional events.
- Produce events and volunteer experiences within specific approved budget guidelines and manage a budgeted vs actual P&L for each event, including a comprehensive final report designed to enhance each successive year’s effort.
- Uphold a professional demeanor in working with event chairs, host committee members, Board members, vendors, donors and attendees.
- Manage the production or produce print and digital assets for events and participate in event and volunteer program marketing.
- Develop an inspiring and informative volunteer orientation.
- Recruit, orient and manage volunteers for various events, tasks, programs and other opportunities throughout the year for Sheltering Arms partners.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated success in event management and volunteer management.
- Demonstrated planning skills combined with the ability to implement effective operating plans.
- Understands the value of personal relationships in the business environment.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks simultaneously.
- Able to communicate complex ideas simply across a diverse set of audiences.
- Equally successful working on collaborative or individualized projects.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Proficient in all Microsoft applications; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or comparable donor management system preferred.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervising personnel, co-workers, business professionals and general public.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptive style.
- Works independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and departments.
- High energy and passion for Sheltering Arms’ mission is essential.
- Professional level of confidentiality in handling information.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree or comparable years of experience required.
2-3 years professional experience
- Familiarity with Atlanta nonprofit and event community.
- Experience early childhood education or youth development nonprofit a plus.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
- Possess a valid Georgia Driver’s license with current driving insurance and an acceptable driving record by the organization’s insurance coverage standards.
These demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation. While performing job responsibilities, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel and to manipulate keys on a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, lift up to 30 lbs, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities require close vision.
Background check and fingerprinting are required prior to hire date. The employee must be able to travel between multiple Sheltering Arms locations, and occasionally attend events and/or seminars which may require an overnight stay. Occasional evenings and weekends are required. There may be a number of situations happening at once. Employee must be prepared to handle emergencies and priority shifts at any time. Experience in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment.