Heritage Language Teacher - Swahili
- Position Type
- Part Time
Native speaker of Swahili, experience working with elementary school aged children, background in teaching or language acquisition desirable, passionate about connecting language with culture. Must be flexible, engaging, open-minded and comfortable leading an active group of students in an inquiry-based environment. The school will provide curriculum guidelines with the expectation that tutors will contribute to the development of the curriculum specific to language components.
Class will be composed of beginners and mixed ages (5 to 10 years old). Class group is small (3 to 8 students). Students have a cultural connection to the language but will have no language competency at the start of the course.
Goals of the program are:
- Provide opportunities for use of oral language skills.
- Develop cultural connections (literary, musical, customary, etc.).
- Engage students’ families in the program to establish a bridge between school and home identity.
- Use and develop student reading and writing skills in context.
- Engage students through STEAM-based (science, art, etc.) problem-solving activities once students have reached a level when they have developed basic communication skills.
- Monday/ Wednesday 3:00-4:30pm
- Possible weekly team meeting
- 3 to 4 hours per week
- $40 per hour
- Sign a contract for the semester (January 14th-May 31st)
Please send your resume and cover letter as attachments to email@example.com, using 'Heritage Language - Swahili' as the subject heading. We will contact those whose skills and experience best match our needs. Given the number of applications expected no telephone inquiries, please.