Senior Associate, Company Network
- Experience Level
Senior Associate, Company Network
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit: www.ceres.org.
Description and Responsibilities
The Senior Associate, Company Network supports the company engagement and programmatic work of the Company Network team. We seek an energetic, highly motivated, self-starter to play a critical programmatic and support role, both internally and externally. The Associate will be part of a fifteen-person team working with companies to integrate sustainability into core business strategies, leveraging the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office, with line reporting to one of the Directors of the Company Network. Desired content knowledge encompasses environmental and social sustainability issues, with specific focus on those issues within the corporate and investor communities.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage, or support the management of, relationships involving Company Network (CN) members, Ceres Non-profit Network organizations, and prospective Network companies or organizations.
- Play a key supporting role in, and in some cases organize and lead, ongoing engagements that bring investors and representatives of environmental, social and other public interest groups together with Network member companies for the purpose of advancing company performance relative to the Ceres Roadmap expectations.
- Play a key supporting role in, and in some cases organize and lead, special projects advocating for leading disclosure, governance, stakeholder engagement, and performance commitments involving the Ceres Company Network members, Non-profit Network members, investors, and prospective Ceres companies.
- Conduct research and analysis on corporate sustainability performance, including benchmarking sector performance, writing briefs and memos, and creating presentations with associated speaking notes.
- Develop briefings or presentations for members of the Ceres leadership team in support of their engagement with companies, investors or other external audiences.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and project management skills for planning, logistics, scheduling, note taking, and memo drafting, amongst other tasks to deliver high impact engagements with Network member companies and partner organizations.
- Advocate to Network member companies positions aligned with Ceres’ organizational goals.
- Facilitate team meetings (on rotating basis), working with the Senior Directors to set meeting agendas and ensure follow up.
- Contribute to tracking, for internal and external purposes, the impact of the Company Network team’s engagement with member companies, as well as the impact of company engagement and project work beyond the Ceres Network.
- Coordinate with other program teams (e.g. Investor Network, Communications, Development, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Assist team in roll out and distribution activities of key reports and special projects.
- Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events.
- Travel to meetings and events, as required.
- Bachelor degree. In absence of bachelor degree, at least 7 years relevant work experience or 5 years relevant work experience plus associate degree.
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills, leadership ability, and project management abilities.
- Three years or more direct experience working on sustainability and corporate responsibility issues in the corporate, investor or non-profit sectors.
- In-depth knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues and an understanding of corporations (including corporate reporting and business strategy tools), the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental and sustainability movements.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills for both internal and external audiences.
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be an advocate.
- Experience in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Passion for accelerating and expanding the adoption of sustainable business practices and solutions to build a healthy global economy.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.