Director, Events and Sponsorship
6 days left
- Experience Level
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Director leads the Events & Sponsorship team in their responsibilities of planning, organizing and executing the annual Ceres Conference (a signature event), the biennial Investors Summit, anniversary special events and other day/half-day events throughout the year. The team coordinates sponsorship for these events through research, internal/external outreach and follow-up, and by tracking all sponsorship on an organization-wide basis. The Events & Sponsorship team engages with all Ceres program teams on these efforts and works closely with the Development, Operations, and Communications and Marketing teams.
This is a full-time, staff position that will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee and direct development of the annual Ceres Conference, the biennial Investor Summit, anniversary year events and other special events for program teams.
- Coordinate and oversee the execution of all Ceres-wide events within a fiscal year.
- Collaborate with senior program staff to develop the strategic direction of the annual Conference and special program events.
- Oversee development and management of the Events annual budget including securing over $1 million in sponsorship revenue annually.
- Oversee the development of the sponsorship program for all major events for fiscal year or longer time periods, balancing immediate needs with longer-term organizational priorities and sponsor relationship development. This includes marketing materials, budget, outreach and stewardship and provide guidance to the Manager of Sponsorships to achieve sponsorship goals.
- Oversee appropriate integration of sponsors into Ceres’ events including integration of sponsors as speakers in events in alignment with the organization’s goals and global outcomes.
- Partner with Communications and Marketing to develop materials to promote Ceres’ events.
- Conduct evaluation of events and incorporate findings into future activities.
- Supervise Events and Sponsorship staff in executing logistical and programmatic details of events.
- Determine events temporary staffing needs and research, contract and oversee temporary staffing for the conference, Investor Summit, anniversary year events and other major events as needed.
- Research and recommend venues for the conference, Summit and other special events and lead contract negotiations for final approval by the CFO.
- Engage with Human Resources in hiring, training, managing, retaining, and terminating Events and Sponsorship staff.
- Bachelor degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years events management experience in roles of progressive responsibility, including team management/supervisory experience.
- Track record of securing significant sponsorship funds. Must possess strategic and creative ability to identify and implement sponsorship strategies to grow event revenue.
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations and management, a plus.
- Familiar with organizing events attracting 600+ attendees for nonprofit organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
- Motivational manager that can stimulate effective action by and collaboration among colleagues.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing diverse teams, including gender identity, people of color, and people from various socio-economic backgrounds, and supporting an inclusive work place, where everyone has an opportunity for advancement.
- Marketing background, a plus.
- Strong team leader and comfort working in a team-based atmosphere.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and as part of a team.
- A confident and poised demeanor, demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with corporate partners.
- Superior organizational, planning, and team management skills.
- Passion for Ceres’ mission and ability to inspire others in that mission.
- Willingness to travel domestically as needed to meet with donors and prospects.
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.