Filoli Head of Retail Operations
- Experience Level
Head of Retail Operations
Filoli Historic House and Garden is a beautiful 654-acre historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula near Woodside, CA, and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. Our Mission: Filoli is dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and stewardship of the cultural traditions and natural history of this country estate for public education and enjoyment.
Come join an award winning team at Filoli! The Clock Tower Shop was recently awarded top prize for their beautiful mission focused displays by the Museum Store Association of the American Alliance of Museums. In curating this beautifully unique store, the Head of Retail Operations creates the overall vision for the Clock Tower Shop (Shop) that enhances the visitor experience and highlights the beauty and bounty of the historic gardens and home. This department head ensures the Shop is an integral part of the experience of all Filoli visitors. The Head of Retail Operations and his/her department consistently deliver an exceptional level of customer service to all individuals in a fast-paced and exceptionally busy environment, particularly during peak hours, Holidays at Filoli and other seasonal events.
This position is full-time (30-40 hours per week, flexibly scheduled), year-round and will include some travel as well as weekend and evening service. It is also eligible for employee benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, Flex Plan, 401(k), vacation, sick leave and holiday pay.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for all operations related to Retail Sales;
- Create the overall vision for the Shop that enhances the visitor experience and highlights the beauty and bounty of the historic gardens and home;
- Ensure the Shop is an integral part of the experience for all guests;
- Develop theme, strategic planning and oversight of all aspects of the annual Holidays at Filoli event sales;
- Travel up to 25% of the time;
- Attend Gift Shows as the principle buyer of a $1M rolling inventory - includes garden, body and bath products, accessories, candles, books, furniture, food, candy and seasonal items;
- Manage either directly or indirectly all department staff activities (e.g. schedules, meetings, performance, training, coaching, etc.);
- Establish budgets and oversee planning for plant sales in coordination with Horticulture staff;
- Develop and analyze management reports of varying needs and complexities;
- Oversee creative display and prioritizes merchandising in the Shop;
- Direct the stocking and display of all merchandise in the Shop and for Holidays at Filoli;
- Oversee the coordination of volunteers during Shop hours and for Holidays at Filoli;
- Responsible for managing the initial markup and maintained margins;
- Monitor merchandise turnover and inventory levels – monitors, analyzes and reconciles monthly inventory and financial reports;
- Work with herb and vinegar and lavender volunteer groups to make sure they have the needed supplies;
- Secure vendors for all special events;
- Coordinate special sales events including special vendor shows, fashion shows and other added interactive components;
- Coordinate with various departments and volunteer committees in regards to the use of the historic garden and grounds;
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Director of Finance to develop and manage annual approved budget;
- Responsible for the hiring, promotion, performance evaluation, coaching, training, separation and management of Retail Operations staff;
- Serve as a member of the Filoli Management Team;
- Attend Board of Directors meetings as necessary;
- Serve as the Staff Liaison to a number of volunteer committees and play an active role in planning, training and interaction with the volunteer core;
- Resolve daily problems and confer with the Executive Director on matters of major importance or departures from typical operating practices;
- Provide support to the Friends of Filoli organization efforts, especially in the area of volunteer training;
- Fulfill expectations as listed in Filoli’s Expectations for Directors, Managers and Supervisors (see attached);
- Ability to provide the highest quality service to all customers in every interaction;
- Uphold all Filoli's policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
- Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
- Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions.
Job titles of those who report directly to this position currently are: Assistant Manager of Retail Operations (FT), Associate Buyer (FT) and Floor Supervisor & Visual Merchandiser (FT) and indirectly Retail Assistants (PT), Shipping & Retail Assistant (FT), seasonal Interns (PT) and a group of retail volunteers (Herb & Vinegar).
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education and/or Experience:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent GED
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to a 4-year college degree;
- Minimum of 8-10 years in retail management, experience with non-profits and working with volunteers is a plus;
- Possess at least 10 years of experience as a primary buyer (at least $1M inventory);
- Minimum of five years' paid work history/experience in mentoring, training and supervising hourly, full time and part-time employees providing front-line customer service;
- Experience with established standards for retail and visitor experience in a cultural non-profit environment;
- Experience with complex report and retail management tools such as open to buy, profit and loss reports and inventory control and management processes;
- Strong proficiency and knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Google Applications;
- Above-average proficiency in retail/point-of-sale software programs, preferably in a gift or garden shop environment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Travel up to 25% of the time and work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends year round;
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership, management and communication skills;
- Ability to develop and implement strategic initiatives;
- Successfully work independently and work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Possess outstanding oral (including listening) and written communication skills, including routine and custom management reports;
- High proficiency in a PC, Windows environment and Microsoft Office products as well as Google Applications;
- Successfully handle multiple tasks and solve problems under considerable pressure while maintaining a calm and helpful demeanor that yields exceptional customer service at all times;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, change oriented environment;
- Ability to effectively communicate (listening and speaking) with and staff, volunteers, members and visitors;
- Represent the organization at local and regional levels at market and other non-profit organizations;
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current driver’s license and automobile insurance for personally owned car used in the course of business.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
- Travel to numerous trade shows across the nation (airline, car, hotels, busses, taxi, etc.),
- Regularly lift/carry up to 50 pounds,
- Essential functions include standing, walking across uneven terrain, climbing stairs, reaching, lifting, carrying and bending frequently, as well as sit for long periods at a computer.
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: https://filoli.applicantstack.com/x/openings
- Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
- The email subject line must say: Head of Retail Operations.
- Please, no phone calls.
- Thank you for your interest in Filoli!
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.