Development Manager for Chapter 510 & the Dept. of Make Believe
- Experience Level
Chapter 510 is a made-in-Oakland youth writing & publishing center. Our teaching artists and volunteers work side-by-side with educators to provide a safe space and supportive community for young people ages 6-18 to bravely write.
Our vision is that every young person in Oakland learns to write with confidence and joy.
This is an excellent opportunity for individuals seeking a high-impact program position with potential to grow with an emerging literary-arts organization.
Chapter 510 believes in engaging our small, but growing team of nonprofit leaders in their strengths and interests, including all staff in our overall strategy and visioning process, empowering individuals to grow professionally, and supporting staff for the long-term.
The newly created position of Development Manager will play a key role in helping Chapter 510 advance our mission to serve thousands of Oakland’s children and youth with dedicated writing support. You will manage our 3-year, $3 million comprehensive campaign, build our donor base, and drive the fundraising programs to meet revenue goals. You might also put on a costume and lead a field trip every now and again if you’re game.
We are looking for a strategic, mid-career fundraising professional with experience in executing a successful development strategy who would like to grow with us. We’d love to work with a creative thinker with an eye for detail, someone who loves our mission, and a kind leader who works happily in a team. You will report to the Executive Director and work collaboratively with staff and community partners.
This position manages one AmeriCorps Fundraising and Communications Associate, is based in Oakland, CA, and is full-time starting as soon as possible.
● In partnership with the Executive Director, implement a multi-year fundraising strategy;
● Manage our 3-year, $3 million comprehensive fundraising campaign;
● Develop strategies for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding current and prospective donors; execute programs to engage and motivate donors’ support of Chapter 510 through personal approaches and visits, appeals, and special events;
● Build relationships with individuals, foundations, and corporations to develop funding prospects from philanthropic sources;
● Lead efforts to steward donor relationships;
● Develop an annual events strategy, focused primarily on individual donor cultivation;
● Oversee corporate fundraising;
● Lead all fundraising and grant-writing efforts;
● Manage gift processing and the acknowledgment process;
● Oversee reconciliation of gift data with Finance.
● Provide overall strategic direction for Salesforce;
● Support the database needs related to Fundraising, Marketing and Communications, and Volunteer Departments.
● Demonstrated experience and success in developing and implementing a fundraising strategy and annual giving campaign from the ground up;
● Creative and innovative; a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced and multi-faceted environment;
● Love of fundraising—both from individuals and institutions;
● Enjoy people and the concept of creating donor communities;
● Competency with CRM databases: can draw conclusions and make recommendations on strategic use of Salesforce, and can customize and create reports and dashboards;
● People and project management skills;
● Strong writing skills and ability to inspire donors;
● Passionate about equity in education and a desire to create pathways through writing for students to be successful in school, life, and work.