External Affairs Associate (WI)
- Experience Level
Join our Wisconsin team and make an impact on state-level conservation policy and legislative efforts! The Nature Conservancy is recruiting for an External Affairs Associate to develop and implement strategic legislative campaigns at the state level. The Associate will serve as a liaison between the organization and the state legislature, partners, outside agencies, and companies. Areas of focus will include land and water protection, freshwater issues, and climate/energy policy. The Associate may also assist the Government Relations Director on federal-level policy work. This position is based in Madison, WI with occasional travel.
Primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop and implement strategic campaigns to advance TNC’s state and federal legislative goals, including reauthorization of the Knowles-Nelson Stewardship Fund and other priorities
- Engage with elected officials, agencies, conservation organizations, and industry and establish strategic partnerships
- Influence the outcome of policy and/or corporate initiatives at the state and federal levels
- Assist project offices throughout the state with policy needs and work with state/local government
- Provide research and policy analysis in support of legislative, corporate and/or policy priorities
- Produce lobby and communications materials and perform some administrative work
- Facilitate internal networks through coordinating meetings, agendas, and presentations
Key qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience, or equivalent combination
- Experience with legislative or planning/policy initiatives
- Experience working with partners, government agencies, and/or the corporate sector
- Experience presenting to and communicating with government or corporate staff
- Experience researching information and compiling into a cohesive reporting structure
- Experience in developing strategies, building networks, facilitating informational sessions, and identifying key stakeholders
- Experience in negotiating and reaching compromise
- Self-starting, independent worker
- Multi-cultural experience is appreciated
TO APPLY: Visit www.nature.org/careers and search for position #46996.
Application deadline is November 25, 2018.
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. In Wisconsin, the Conservancy has helped protect more than 233,500 acres of the state’s critical landscapes since 1960.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to a diverse and culturally competent global workforce.