- Experience Level
About Breast Cancer Action Breast Cancer Action is not your typical breast cancer organization. Our passionate and talented staff and our engaged grassroots membership are our strength. Since our founding in 1990, we have had an outsized impact because of the power of people coming together. We are currently seeking a seasoned fundraising professional with a desire to utilize their leadership and management skills to fill our Deputy Director position.
Breast Cancer Action’s founders knew that their personal tragedy was part of a larger public health crisis. Our work to achieve health justice for all women living with and at risk of breast cancer has always been grounded in the fact that breast cancer is a social justice issue. Today, Breast Cancer Action is known as the watchdog for the breast cancer movement. We work for system change that addresses the root causes of the breast cancer epidemic.
Radical and compassionate, we never shy away from the hard truths. We tell it like it is and refuse to blame anyone for their breast cancer, because:
- More than a quarter million women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year;
- Black women are 40% more likely to die and people of color fare worse after a diagnosis;
- Involuntary chemical exposures throughout our lives are linked to increased risk of breast cancer and 90% of breast cancers are not linked to family history or genetic mutations;
- Corporations boost sales with pink ribbon products for awareness, yet fail to take steps to ensure their products don’t increase the risk of breast cancer;
- Pharma and biotech make billions in profits even though most new cancer drugs don’t help patients live longer and there is still no cure for metastatic breast cancer;
- Pink ribbon culture shifts the burden to patients’ attitude and behavior by telling us to just “stay positive” and “fight like a girl” when we are diagnosed.
Breast Cancer Action is fiercely independent and refuses corporate funding from any company that profits from or contributes to breast cancer, which means we can do the work that other breast cancer organizations don’t do. Our annual budget is $875,000.
We value diversity and each member of our team brings their own diverse lived experiences along with the depth of their professional expertise to inform and enrich our work together. We are an ambitious organization and successful team members bring big, bold ideas as well as a relentless determination to get the actual work done. Our work together is deeply collaborative and driven by our organizational values.
About the Position
The Deputy Director works in close partnership with the Executive Director to secure resources, build capacity, and provide leadership to a visionary and results-driven organization. The successful candidate is a dynamicDirector and collaborative leader who is committed to building on the organization’s strengths to help launch the next phase of growth. With a proven track record in development, the Deputy Director is a champion for fundraising as an essential part of movement building. The Deputy Director’s role is to support the Executive Director and bring their own expertise and experience to the collective task of fulfilling our bold mission.
Fundraising: The Deputy Director is a seasoned fundraiser who will lead the development team. In addition to meeting annual revenue goals, this person will create and implement a mid-term growth strategy to meet expanding programmatic needs. An experienced supervisor with excellent relationship building skills, the Deputy Director will provide support and coaching for staff and Board fundraising activities as well manage their own donor portfolio. The Deputy Director will have a strong role externally, interfacing, as appropriate with donors, foundations, and the public representing the work and mission of BCAction.
Organizational Leadership and Management: The Deputy Director reports to and works in partnership with the Executive Director to grow and strengthen the organization, while cultivating staff to continue Breast Cancer Action’s commitment to integrity and results. The Deputy Director provides operational oversight and will participate on the Management Team to ensure a culture of support, accountability, clear communication, and strategic use of resources as everyone within the organization works together to fulfill the strategic plan. In the absence of the Executive Director, s/he will step in as organizational leader responsible for decision making for the organization.
Board and Committee Support: The Deputy Director will support the Board with fundraising and relationship building to achieve the annual give and get goals. In addition to building strong relationships with members of the governing Board, the Deputy Director will provide staffing support to Board committees as appropriate, as well as attend board meetings.
Program: As a senior leader on the team, the Deputy Director will embrace and uphold the mission, values, programs and policies of BCAction. In addition to representing the unique value and impact of Breast Cancer Action’s work to external audiences, the Deputy Director will contribute to programmatic decisions and will be part of the development of the next strategic plan.
Special Projects: Handle projects as requested by the Executive Director.
- At least 5 years of nonprofit management experience with a focus on fundraising
- Strong organizational and management skills with attention to detail
- Dynamic relationship builder able to engage and motivate diverse individuals
- Flexible and able to balance opportunities for innovation while successfully meeting goals
- Strategic thinker and planner, with excellent writing and communication skills
- Understanding of and commitment to women’s health issues and social change
- Experience managing a team and supervising and supporting staff and volunteers
- Positive, proactive and personable team player
Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the job title DEPUTY DIRECTOR in the subject line. Breast Cancer Action is an equal opportunity employer.
Breast Cancer Action is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Breast Cancer Action does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.