Legal Practice Assistant/Litigation Assistant I
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s Alaska regional office is seeking a full-time Legal Practice Assistant/Litigation Assistant I to provide administrative and litigation support services as needed to the Legal Practice Manager and senior litigation support staff.
The Legal Practice Assistant/Litigation Assistant I will work under the direct supervision of the Legal Practice Manager to provide administrative and litigation support for the Alaska regional office. Additionally, the position, under the direction of the senior litigation support staff, will provide litigation support to the Alaska regional office litigation staff. This is an entry-level administrative and litigation support position.
Administrative support duties (50% time) include:
- Assist with facilities maintenance and general management of the office building. Maintain kitchen and common areas. May act as a primary point of contact for building management contractors. May support building security needs and serve as safety coordinator for building / office emergencies.
- Help trouble-shoot hardware and software issues. Assist with operation and maintenance of office equipment (copier, printers, videoconferencing equipment).
- Assist Legal Practice Manager as needed with financial matters. Processes invoices and other financial documents to send to Legal Practice Manager. Assist staff as needed with expense reimbursement forms.
- Serve as primary receptionist.
- Receive, distribute, and send mail, packages, and other deliveries. Maintain postage meter, postage log, and mailing supplies.
- Assist as needed with scheduling and coordination of conference room and video-conferencing equipment, planning and arranging of office events, and travel arrangements.
- Maintain office supplies. Conduct periodic inventory of existing supplies. Purchase supplies and other office equipment as needed.
- Able to stand in for Legal Practice Manager when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Litigation support duties (50% time) include:
- Assist with maintenance of paper and electronic files and other records. Assist with implementation of file retention procedures and document destruction.
- Assist with litigation-related document productions, including assembly of exhibits and other supporting documents, creation of indices, and organization of document binders.
- Effect service of documents, including chambers copies.
- Assist with download, processing, and distribution of document productions, including court filings, FOIA responses, and administrative records.
- Retrieve documents and other materials from libraries, agencies, and websites as requested.
- Maintain law library materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One year of office experience. Litigation-related office experience a plus.
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, databases and spreadsheets, internet, etc.).
- Can-do attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and a commitment to high performance standards.
- Ability to organize, set priorities among multiple assignments, meet deadlines, and function calmly under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively with remote staff and to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to coordinate work flow and assignments with the Legal Practice Manager and senior litigation support staff.
- Flexible, punctual, highly reliable, and available for occasional evening and weekend work.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Interest in and commitment to environmental protection. Knowledge of environmental issues a plus.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.