Part-Time Finance Director
- Experience Level
North Star Fund brings together New Yorkers who collaborate to build strong social justice movements for New York City and the Hudson Valley. We make grants to support new solutions to the problems caused by inequity and oppression by raising new voices for equity and justice.
The Finance Director ensures smooth management of our internal functions: finance, operations, personnel and human resources. The ideal candidate will be an experienced nonprofit financial manager who enjoys detail-oriented work, and can manage human resources functions with a social justice lens. This position reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Operations Manager. This position is three days per week (0.6FTE), and has flexibility for some remote work.
Financial Management (70%)
- Oversee inclusive organizational budgeting process for a budget of $4.3 million, financial forecasting, cash flow and annual audit; Staff the Board finance and audit committees;
- Ensure accurate and up to date records of financial transactions; supervise bookkeeping by Operations Manager;
- Ensure compliance with finance/accounting standards, effective internal controls, and compliance with IRS and other legal requirements;
- Manage investments for mission alignment and growth, and serve as primary staff contact for our investments advisors;
- Serve as primary liaison with development staff around cash flow management and data reconciliation;
Operations and Human Resources (30%)
- Oversee human resources, ensuring compliance with legal requirements and maintaining personnel policies;
- Provide leadership around creating a culture of inclusivity and anti-oppression through our personnel policies and systems;
- Ensure organization and programs are covered with appropriate insurance policies, negotiate pricing, liaise with brokers;
- Ensure functionality of computers and IT systems and serve as primary liaison for IT consultants;
- Supervise Operations Manager to ensure smooth office functioning;
- At least 5 years experience in budgeting and in managing financial reporting and analysis; knowledge of accounts payable and receivable, and payroll;
- Excellent communications skills, and the ability to communicate financial information to people who aren’t “numbers people;”
- Superb manager; Experience managing human resources functions with a social justice lens in a cross-class, multi-racial workplace;
- Tech savvy, able to learn new programs quickly; Experience managing nonprofit IT systems; Expert with Quickbooks and Excel;
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills;
- Proactive, takes initiative; A driver who executes on all tasks and is accountable for their success;
- Strong commitment to anti-racism and social justice values and building an equitable workplace, and experience applying these values to finance, operations and/or HR roles;
- Knowledge of grassroots community organizing in NYC and/or the Hudson Valley a plus, but not required.
North Star Fund is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly, and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows to only respond to those best qualified for the position.
- Typing and sitting at a desk; Very light lifting;
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $70,000 - $99,999 Part Time jobs in New York City
- Human Resources / Recruiting Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $70,000 - $99,999 Part Time jobs in New York City
- Technology / Data Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $70,000 - $99,999 Part Time jobs in New York City