- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice is hiring an Attorney Recruiter to join the organization’s Recruiting team. The Attorney Recruiter reports directly to the Recruiting Manager and manages organization-wide attorney/litigation related recruitment and retention activities which include but are not limited to; creating and posting attorney recruiting ads on the Earthjustice website and corresponding job boards, sourcing candidates, attending nationwide diversity career fairs, tracking and reporting firm-wide recruiting data, and helping to coordinate Summer Law Clerk recruiting efforts (on campus interviews OCIs), as well as managing the litigation assistant hiring and Summer Law Clerk Program. This role also oversees hiring litigation support staff.
This position can be located in New York, NY, Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA.
- Work closely with the Recruiting team and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Department to oversee full cycle attorney/litigation recruiting including: Litigation Support Staff, Law Clerks, Fellows, Associates, Staff Attorneys, Project Attorneys, and Managing Attorneys.
- Hold regular check in meetings with hiring managers to ensure the hiring process is moving forward and remove roadblocks.
- Use the applicant tracking system, Jobvite, to add new job requisitions, monitor positions as well as review and edit candidate applications. Maintain and update the Jobvite system as needed.
- Coordinate participation in diversity career fairs and On Campus Interviews (OCI) at law schools nationwide for attorney roles.
- Coordinate recruiting updates on the organizations’ “careers” website as well as social media platforms.
- Communicate with and support job applicants providing a positive candidate experience.
- Create and send offer letters, background and conflicts checks for finalists via DocuSign.
- Assist hiring managers with candidate rejections and closing out jobs in the Jobvite system.
- Coordinate and manage background check process for finalists and review background checks to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Coordinate conflicts check process with Litigation Operations team and coordinate conflicts checks with new hires.
- Work with offices and hiring managers to draft and place job advertisements for open positions.
- Ensure candidate pools are diverse across all levels of attorney positions.
- Maintain “Careers” page on Earthjustice website - edit and remove jobs as needed.
- Work with Managing Attorneys and VPs of Litigation to determine Associate Attorney extensions or promotions, as needed.
- Oversee external headhunter and legal search firms - manage contracts and collaborate to support hiring efforts for hard to fill positions.
- Oversee temporary agency relationships to ensure temp support for offices across the U.S. Manage temporary agency contracts and approve invoices.
- Source candidates and develop pipelines of diverse candidates via LinkedIn Recruiter.
- Conduct exit interviews with departing staff and identify trends to support hiring and retention efforts.
- Oversee attorney/legal support related onboarding in Sapling onboarding system. Maintain system and address issues as they arise.
- Support the creation and updating of job descriptions for staff positions as needed.
- Assist with updating recruitment section of our Intranet site.
Summer Law Clerk Recruiting (15%)
- Work with offices to coordinate recruiting efforts for the Summer law clerk program; Assist with clerk hiring and sourcing for law clerks.
- Track and report Law Clerk program data for senior leaders.
- Manage job posting and applicant pools for regional offices and source additional candidates as needed.
- Upload OCI notes into Jobvite system after hiring managers attend on campus interviews.
- Maintain Jobvite applicant tracking data integrity for jobs.
- Work with HR support team members to create and send offer letters to 30 – 40 clerks per year.
- Assist with onboarding summer law clerks, interns and fellows in Sapling onboarding system.
- Assist with training new staff on department expectations and protocol as well as other HR related activities as appropriate.
- Train hiring managers and Associate Attorneys in hiring/DEI best practices and applicant tracking system (Jobvite)
- Ensure hiring managers are in compliance with recruitment best practices as per trainings.
- Provide new hire training and onboarding assistance to new hiring managers.
- Train Associate Attorneys on Jobvite applicant tracking system to prepare for the Summer law clerk hiring season.
- Track Attorney recruiting and retention efforts and generate reports/metrics for senior leaders.
- Track progress and hiring statuses for each attorney role for the recruitment team.
- Assist Recruiting Manager with miscellaneous projects including vendor research, external recruiters, attorney and diversity recruiting benchmark research, identifying hiring trends, ordering promotional items, expense reconciliation, budget planning and other duties as assigned.
- Attend professional development conferences and events to expand recruiting and human resources knowledge.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- 3 – 7+ years combination recruiting, professional experience/education.
- Law Firm experience or experience successfully recruiting in the legal or professional services industry is highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two or more years of recruiting or HR experience, JD preferred but not required.
- Vendor management skills preferred.
- Experience training hiring managers or providing other training preferred.
- Team mindset and team player are essential.
- Analytical skills including metrics and reporting.
- Problem solving skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential - listens well, obtains clarification, responds to inquiries and provides feedback in a timely manner.
- Assertive, confident and self-assured while also being diplomatic.
- Organized – able to juggle and prioritize several pressing projects at the same time.
- Dependable – quickly becomes the ‘go-to’ person for staff across the organization.
- High level of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Ability to thrive under a fast-paced working environment.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system. Please identify your preferred work location (NY, DC, or SF) in your cover letter.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.