About the Georgia River Network (GRN)
Georgia River Network is a statewide, non-profit river conservation organization working to ensure a clean water legacy by engaging and empowering Georgians to protect, restore, and enjoy our rivers from the mountains to the coast. We envision rivers that are clean, safe and healthy for drinking, swimming, fishing, and boating, as well as add beauty and value to our communities and meet the needs of the natural communities they support.
GRN was founded in 1998 by a group of dedicated river conservation advocates. At that time, we were a small organization primarily focused on raising awareness and engaging citizens in river protection. Today, our efforts include awareness-building and river protection as well as a myriad of services to the network of concerned citizens and river groups across the state. GRN holds leadership roles in statewide efforts including the Georgia Water Coalition and the Georgia Water Trails Network.
Executive Director (ED) Position Overview
The Executive Director provides professional leadership and staff oversight to ensure that the organization is effectively managed to achieve its mission. The ED must be a strong, ethical leader with excellent communication skills and dedication to the mission of GRN. The ED is the public and professional representative of the organization.
The ED has a strong ability and affinity for marketing GRN’s unique value proposition and maintaining and growing diverse and reliable sources of revenue to support the organization.
The ED is also an effective and visible advocate for the rivers, coastal resources, wetlands and other aquatic resources throughout Georgia. As part of the leadership team of the Georgia Water Coalition, the ED will continue to build on existing relationships, and foster new relationships, with individuals and organizations to advance the goals, strategies, and policies of the Coalition as well as the mission of the GRN.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and excels at board relations and facilitating governance.
- Strong personal desire to sustainably conserve Georgia’s rivers and aquatic resources.
- Demonstrable track record of successful fundraising, especially from individual donors.
- Keen interpersonal relationship-building skills.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (business, marketing, management, science), advanced degree preferred (MBA, finance, marketing, law, management, science)
- Three to five years of relevant work experience with at least three years in a leadership/supervisory position.
- Dynamic written and verbal communication skills, including confidence and integrity when communicating with all audiences. Strong command of all traditional and social media communication platforms.
- Experience in developing budgets and financial reports.
- Ability and willingness to regularly travel throughout Georgia.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- The ED works with the Board to develop GRN’s revenue strategy and is responsible for executing the strategy, with the support of the board, and securing all the funding necessary to support and grow GRN’s budget and programs, with a focus on growing GRN’s base of individual donors. The ED is responsible for leading and harnessing the power of GRN’s board and volunteers to meet GRN’s revenue goals.
- The ED develops and manages the annual operating budget and oversees required bookkeeping and preparation of required financial reports.
- The ED supervises staff, contractors, interns and volunteers and provides necessary leadership and support to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization.
- The ED, alongside the board and staff, leads the development of three-year strategic plans and annual plans of work and ensures GRN’s initiatives and programs are consistent with the GRN strategic plan.
- The ED actively promotes GRN and its programs. As the face and voice of GRN, the ED reaches out to other organizations, the media, stakeholders, and communities throughout the State to creatively market and promote GRN’s programs, goals, and objectives.
- The ED serves on the Leadership Team of the Georgia Water Coalition and provides significant support in achievement of the Coalition’s goals.
- The ED works in partnership with the GRN Board Chair to provide the GRN Board with the support needed to fulfill their required roles and responsibilities.
- The ED ensures an organizational culture that supports equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The GRN office is located in Athens, Ga. The GRN Board desires a stronger presence in the metropolitan Atlanta area. As such, the ED may establish a home office in the metro Atlanta area and telecommute to the Athens office. The ED will have a strong presence in the Athens office as required.
Salary and Benefits
$60,000 with medical benefits and vacation.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Georgia River Network is a nonprofit organization that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or marital status.
Send a resume and a cover letter outlining your relevant qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
126 S. Milledge Ave., Suite E3, Athens, Ga. - 706.549.4508