Senior Director, Philanthropy
- Experience Level
Being "Wonderful" goes beyond our consumer promise of growing and distributing high-quality fruits, nuts, and other products to customers around the world. We also strive to make The Wonderful Company true to its name through a wide range of philanthropic activities focused on investing in and collaborating with the communities where our employees live and work, particularly in California's Central Valley and the island nation of Fiji.
Our approach to philanthropy is unique, with our owners personally overseeing this effort. We are deeply committed to bringing positive, multi-generational change to the communities we serve. We leverage our business acumen to run a productive, hands-on philanthropic portfolio while also encouraging our employees to give back.
Here's what we're looking for:
We're seeking a Senior Director of Philanthropy based in our Los Angeles headquarters who can embrace the opportunities and demands of this unique, hybrid model -- part private family foundation and part corporate philanthropic arm. Leading a small but mighty team, the Senior Director of Philanthropy will oversee all operations for The Resnick Foundation, The Wonderful Company Foundation, and our employee facing philanthropic initiatives.
Here's what you'll do:
Oversee The Resnick Foundation and The Wonderful Company Foundation:
- Vet all incoming requests for contributions with key staff and elevate for approval as necessary
- Proactively research and develop giving opportunities for key initiatives and present for approval
- Lead the A-Z process for all major gifts, which includes working with our in-house legal, and accounting teams, meeting deliverables and deadlines and maintaining good relationships with key stakeholders.
- Partner with various business units within The Wonderful Company portfolio to oversee dynamic regional grant making programs.
Oversee our incredible employee-facing philanthropy initiatives:
- WonderfulGiving: Our one-of-a-kind program empowering each employee to donate company funds to the nonprofit(s) of their choosing, in addition to a more traditional matching program
- Project Wonderful: An opportunity for our teams to take a break from the normal work routine and give back while having fun with their colleagues
Here's what you'll bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree required; related graduate degree (JD, MBA) preferred
- A minimum of 10 years' experience demonstrating ownership and leadership in philanthropic advising, working in a corporate or family foundation and/or related experience within government or the nonprofit sector
- A heart for social impact work
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized with expert attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- A strong work ethic with willingness to "roll up sleeves" and do whatever it takes
- Ability to travel, mainly within California, as needed.
What Makes Us Wonderful
The Wonderful Company's connection to consumers has health at its heart and giving back in its DNA. The company has a long-standing commitment to corporate social responsibility, including more than $200 million invested in environmental technologies and sustainability research, $45 million in charitable giving and education initiatives every year, $80 million toward the construction of a new charter school campus in California's Central Valley, and innovative health and wellness programs, including two new, free primary care clinics and one mobile clinic for employees and their dependents.
As a privately held business, The Wonderful Company has both the freedom and flexibility to make long-term decisions that benefit our consumers, our employees, and our communities. We believe that making life better for everyone is part of what makes working here so wonderful.
Here's what we'll bring to the table:
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental, and 401k with match eligibility.
- Subsidized gym membership.
- On-site subsidized high-end cafe offering farm to table meals and snacks.
- Free on-site yoga classes and other wellness-focused activities.
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice.
- Free tobacco cessation programs.
- Work-Life balance.
- All the FIJI Water and Wonderful snacks you may want in the office.
- Discounted tickets to various LA attractions.
- We are bicycle-friendly, with newly installed bicycle racks available to all LA-based employees.