- Experience Level
Position Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Senior Research Associate II
Program: Innovation Studies
Salary: LEVEL G: Competitive Salary (DOE)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Time Base: 100%
Position No: 5599
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Arizona and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
The Innovation Studies program houses projects that help educators and policymakers find promising ideas, understand how they work, and put them into action. To do this, staff partner on pilot projects, conduct evaluations, and communicate using technology and interactive media for knowledge transfer to educators and policymakers. Formative evaluations conducted by Innovation Studies staff are designed to capture evidence of progress in the early stages of implementation of an initiative, to inform mid-course changes and guide iterative cycles of development. Rigorous impact studies are carried out on more mature programs.
The Regional Educational Laboratory West (REL West) at WestEd, housed within the Innovations Studies program, is part of a national network of 10 RELs whose mission is to provide research, analytic support, and resources that increase the use of high quality data and evidence in education decision-making, and link research with practice. REL West work is carried out in partnership with educators from preschool through college, and other local partners.
The Project Manager will primarily work on three improvement science-based projects: the New Generation of Educators Initiative (NGEI), the Higher Aims Improvement Network, and the management of improvement science training and technical assistance offerings.
NGEI is a network of eleven California State University teacher preparation programs focused on improving the clinical experience of their candidates. WestEd supports both the formative assessment and continuous improvement technical assistance for network members. Higher Aims is a growing improvement network of California community college-district partnerships focused on offering a dual-enrollment statistics course to high school seniors. WestEd manages the network hub and is focused on building a knowledge base for effective implementation of dual-enrollment courses that could be leveraged more broadly across the state. Finally, WestEd is developing a growing number of improvement science-based trainings and associated technical assistance supports.
The project manager will provide coordinated communication, project management, event planning, and financial management support across these different improvement efforts.
Specific responsibilities of the project manager will include:
- Manage the development and delivery of diverse improvement trainings and technical assistance
- Manage project budgets and contracts
- Manage the grant and contract development process for new projects
- Establish and manage standard team meeting routines associated with complex improvement projects
- Track and manage projects against key deliverables and performance indicators
- Develop and manage communication routines with project stakeholders, members, and clients
- Develop and manage standard routines to curate documents and artifacts associated with projects.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years managing large, complex education projects. Experience managing network- and/or improvement science-based projects strongly desired.
- Experience managing budgets, contracts, and financial plans.
-Experience managing the development and execution of large-scale trainings and events
- Proficiency with project planning and management tools including SmartSheet, Excel, and Google G Suite
- Demonstrated ability to learn on-the-job, give and receive constructive feedback, and grow into new roles and responsibilities as the work demands.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team and treat diverse groups of staff and clients respectfully.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule and travel up to once a month for 2-3 days. Most travel will be regional, primarily within the state of California and the neighboring states of Arizona, Utah, and Nevada.
- Must be authorized to work in USA (visa sponsorship not available).
We invite you to Apply Today!
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3170. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to email@example.com with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.
- All health benefits effective first of the month following date of hire
- 15% contribution toward retirement effective day one of employment
- 15 vacation days, which will increase to 20 days per year beginning the 4th year of employment
- 12 holidays
- 12 days sick leave per year