Investment Partnerships Director
- Experience Level
Investment Partnerships Director
About Movement Strategy Center (MSC)
Movement Strategy Center understands that transformative movements change the way we think, the way we live, and even who we are. In this moment of extraordinary challenge and hope, our world needs people and movements who are ready to stretch the boundaries of what anyone has imagined we can do. MSC works with diverse movement and philanthropic leaders, networks, alliances, in partnership with a broader Transitions Community, to deepen and accelerate the transition from a world of domination and extraction to a world of resilience, regeneration, and interdependence.
MSC is seeking an Investment Partnerships Director to lead the development and advancement of an impactful fundraising strategy for the organization. This strategy will deepen strong collaborations with philanthropic partners and will engage MSC’s staff, Movement partners and community around the country. The Investment Partnerships Director will grow and strengthen a dynamic network of philanthropic partners who are engaged in a shared vision for Transition to a world of interdependence, resilience and regeneration; commitment to collective impact; and excitement about being engaged as partners in the Social Movement ecosystem. The Investment Partnerships Director works closely with MSC’s Co-Directors to engage the entire staff and our Movement Partners in our fundraising strategy and to share their own stories of impact and community transformation.
Our Approach to Resourcing Strong Movement Ecosystems
- Ecosystem Approach & Collective Impact - We know that creating deep transformative change requires investments in change at the scale of the solutions that are needed. As a movement building institution, MSC works to generate resources in ways that strengthen and bring resources into our broader movement ecosystems and to partners.
- Movement & Philanthropy Partnerships - MSC works with Movement partners to collaborate with philanthropy to transform philanthropic practice. We believe foundation staff, people with wealth, and supporters are key partners in Social Movements and in building critical mass for Transition to the Emerging World. We see that social movements have a lot of leadership to bring to the table to guide philanthropy to partner and play a “right role.”
- Teamwork and Collective Fundraising Approach - MSC’s Co-Directors and Leadership Team understand that it takes a team to meet our goals for philanthropic partnerships and resource development. Our leadership team has a diverse set of fundraising skills -- writing, storytelling, organizing, strategy development, philanthropic advising -- and have the attitude and commitment to build a collaborative, impactful resource development strategy.
- Promoting Integrated and Full-Spectrum Capital investments - With our movement building and philanthropic partners, MSC is cultivating approaches to investment that leverage grants, Project Related Investments (PRIs), loans, and other forms of capital to advance more holistic and integrated approaches to social change.
- Communication, storytelling, community building and meaning making - The heart of MSC’s resource development practice is telling powerful stories that celebrate our strengths, our connections, and our shared paths forward to impact. We are looking for a leader to join our team who builds connection, momentum and shared meaning through deep listening and the weaving of shared stories of purpose, power, strategy and impact.
- Lead, in strong partnership with MSC Co-Directors, the creation of a 3-5 year strategic fundraising strategy that includes foundations, donors, project related investments, fee-for-service, and other potential revenue streams.
- Lead the creation of 1-2 year fundraising strategies to meet MSC’s and our Transitions Network fundraising goals.
Investment Partnerships Management:
- Cultivate and sustain investment partnerships with current funders and donors
- Support MSC Co-Directors and broader team, to cultivate philanthropic donors and to frame asks.
- Partner with funders to shift culture of the current landscape or some way to convey a shift in funding culture where there is more partnership in transforming the world to be more “resilience, regeneration, and interdependence”.
Project Management, Team Supervisory and Management Responsibilities:
- Manage Investment Partnerships Workplan, Deadlines, and Teamwork.
- Hire and supervise Investment Partnerships Associate to manage the calendar of grant proposals, reports, and relationship cultivation.
- Assign lead authors and coordinating team input for concept papers, proposals, and reports.
- Partner with Co-Directors to build a culture of shared fundraising and to engage the entire MSC leadership and staff team in fundraising strategy, relationship building, communication, reporting.
- Work closely with Co-Directors, Program Director, and Network Weaver/Strategist to develop and carry out collaborative/ecosystem fundraising strategies, driven by purpose/strategy.
- Lead communications strategy stream to support investment partnerships in partnership with Program Director and Director of Future Narrative on key communications messages & strategy.
Storytelling, Writing and Communication
- Lead the development of core stories that convey MSC’s Movement Ecosystem approach, our impact, and our partnerships.
- Lead Writer for Concept Papers (in close partnership with lead Program staff).
- Serve as the lead author for selected proposals and reports.
- Develop and oversee strategic communications plan to excite and engage funders and donors in MSC’s work.
Currently does not supervise other employees but may in the future.
This is a 100% FTE exempt position. Ideally this position is based in Oakland, CA but we are open to remote arrangements.
No significant travel expected. Occasional domestic travel may be required for meetings and conferences.
- 100% FTE Salary is $90 - 95k depending on experience
- Opportunity to work remotely 1 - 2 days/week
- MSC’s 100% FTE benefits package includes:
- 20 days vacation leave per year;
- 12 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year;
- 12 sick days per year;
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks;
- Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution);
- 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage;
- Access to a 403b retirement plan.
- Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.
Movement Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, one sample grant proposal or writing sample, and a list of references to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.