- Experience Level
Who We Are
Progress Virginia and our sister organization, Progress Virginia Education Fund, are hiring a digital director to join our team. Progress Virginia is a multi-issue progressive advocacy organization that combines cutting edge online organizing and communications with rapid and hard-hitting earned media strategies. We provide a strong, credible voice for advancing progressive values and solutions to critical community problems. But we don’t do that on our own—we work as a communications team for the entire progressive community.
What You’ll Do
- Develop digital department goals and an online engagement strategy that helps to grow our organization, our fundraising, and fuels campaign victories. You’ll be working collaboratively with the Executive Director and staff.
- Create (ideate, plan, and execute) online campaigns to diverse audiences (including communities comprising people of color, those who identify as LGBTQ, millennials, and women). You’ll mentor and supervise a digital organizer and collaborate with staff as to achieve wins.
- Manage our online presence, including social media, campaign-specific microsites and our main site, and our blog.
- Oversee our editorial calendar to ensure that engaging, readable, high-quality quality content is produced as needed across our digital platforms.
- Promote a culture of testing and learning across the organization, track and assess our progress through online metrics, and adapt our approach as needed.
- Serve as digital expert and point of contact to our local and national progressive partners.
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you will excel in five areas:
- Strong communication skills: Your writing both informs our target audiences and compels them to act across all digital platforms. Your verbal communications inspire our advocacy partners to work together toward common goals.
- Strategic and flexible thinking: You have a firm grasp of how digital campaigns and engagement helps us reach our goals, and the skills to get it done. You’re quick on your feet and react positively and creatively when plans change.
- Proactive project management: You are organized and stay on top of things, and flexible and nimble when priorities change suddenly.
- Broad technical skills: You understand the technologies behind digital platforms well enough to guide us toward what works and what doesn’t for different campaigns. You know HTML and ActionKit (or other CRM), how to manage a CMS, and understand the basics of Google analytics and social media analytics dashboards.
- Creative outreach to marginalized communities: You have a proven ability to come up with creative ways to engage audiences online (from blogging and email to social media), especially communities of color, younger adults, women, LGBTQ, and other communities traditionally overlooked.
What Else You Should Know
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions, including this one.
Progress Virginia operates a virtual office. Candidates should expect to work from home (in Virginia), and occasionally travel for events and meetings. The position is full-time.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits. The salary range for this position is $55,000-$70,000 and commensurate with experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply today!
Complete the application and post your resume here. If we find your skills match those of the position, we will contact you for an interview. No phone calls, please.