Community Involvement & Events Manager
- Degree Level
- Some college
Community Involvement & Events Manager
Reports to: Director of Special Events & Outreach
This position is a key member of the Marketing and Development Department, who engages in outreach activities, recruits volunteers, plans, organizes, supervises, and works at volunteer events. Involved in a wide range of park improvement and beautification projects. This position requires expert skills in volunteer program management with a primary focus on stewarding volunteer relationships, coordinating related activities and increasing corporate partnerships.
Additionally, this position plays a key support role working with the Director of Special Events & Outreach assisting with the organization and implementation of Conservancy special events and outreach to neighborhood, government and business partners.
- Manage individual, group, and community volunteer engagement. Develop new volunteer opportunities as needed to support the Conservancy’s mission and programs.
- Work collaboratively with Operations, Programs, Facility Rentals and Marketing & Development departments to coordinate and manage full cycle of volunteer projects/events for Piedmont Park including volunteer recruitment, on-site supervision of volunteers, follow-up and acknowledgement, and projected project budget.
- Engage with corporations, small businesses, NGO’s, schools and organizations to engage and recruit volunteers for projects; introduce groups to, and educate them about Piedmont Park. Cultivate on-going relationships with groups.
- Create partnerships with corporations and small businesses to encourage donations of materials and volunteers for work parties at site specific areas, and for potential ongoing maintenance and support.
- Collaborate with the Director of Special Events & Outreach and the Director of Development, when appropriate, to accomplish shared goals of increasing volunteer participation and securing corporate sponsorships and donations.
- Work with Marketing to develop marketing strategies to promote Community Involvement program and events. Create, design, and write editorial content for social media to increase community involvement awareness and appreciation. Create marketing collateral and signage to promote community involvement.
- Increase number of volunteer events each year to expand outreach efforts and to improve maintenance and restoration of Piedmont Park.
- Prepare data and creative input as necessary for quarterly and annual reports, guides, manuals and other written documents relating to program.
- Assist the Marketing and Development Department with department and organization wide needs including special events and marketing.
- Administer $20,000/year annual budget. Work with Finance regarding invoicing groups for cost of materials and/or parking vouchers.
- Manage development of the tour program, schedule, budget, and tour docents. Responsible for creating, organizing and planning guided and self-guided tours for the Conservancy.
- Engage with corporations, schools, and community groups to schedule private walking tours.
- Work with Marketing & Development to develop marketing strategies to market the tour program. Create, design, and write editorial content for social media to increase tour awareness and docent appreciation. Create marketing collateral and signage to promote tours.
- Work with Finance regarding invoicing groups for cost of materials and/or parking vouchers.
- Partner with Atlanta Preservation Center to host Phoenix Flies event.
Special Events and Outreach:
- Assist the Director of Special Events and Outreach with planning and implementation of special events. Work with the Director of Special Events and Outreach on the development of new special events.
- Assist the Director of Special Events and Outreach with preparation and processing of event permits.
- Work with the Director of Special Events and Outreach to partner with local businesses and community groups to increase community outreach and involvement in the Park.
- Assist the Director of Special Events and Outreach by representing the Conservancy at NPU and governmental meetings.
- Assist Director of Special Events & Outreach with the targeting and securing of sponsors and partners for special events including monitoring sponsor benefits
- Serve as Conservancy liaison to the Community & Government Relations Committee.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years experience in managing volunteer projects and experience working for a park system and/or natural resource system. This candidate will be an enthusiastic and customer service oriented professional who is a skillful problem-solver with the ability to collaborate with team members on common objectives, measuring progress and results. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated abilities as follows:
- Demonstrated experience working with corporate clients, event managers, and community based organizations.
- Proven track record of success in the areas of customer service, community outreach, event management, and database management.
- Demonstrated competence with Windows software and various social media programs.
- Ability to develop scope for events and keep projects on time and under budget.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with supervisors, other Conservancy staff, volunteers and the public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated experience in writing for a variety of audiences and utilizing different types of communication tools.
- Ability to work independently to plan and manage projects with ever-changing deadlines.